Other Aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkcloud63

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,
Question please. strictly going by the directions and ingredients on a wine kit how long is the shelf life after bottling?

Thanks in advanced.

strictly going by the directions and ingredients on a wine kit how long is the shelf life after bottling?
It depends on the kit vendor, the kit type/variety, and your storage conditions.

Better quality vendors such as Winexpert, RJ Spagnols, and Finer Wine Kits have the potential for longer shelf life, even in their lower level kits.

Longevity is related to ABV, tannin, acid, and sugar. Generally speaking, reds will last longer than whites.

If storage conditions are 70 F or lower, the wines will last longer.

Generally -- white kits are good for 2 to 4 years, and red kits longer. I've had an Island Mist kit that I chaptalized to 11% ABV last 7 years.

LOL! You REALLY had a batch of wine last 7 years, ROFL! Lol, lol! I just don't see it!
There is exactly 2 ways to age a batch of wine -- 1) Make more than you drink. 2) Make wine you don't like to drink or don't drink often.

I made Apple/Riesling and Pomegranate/Zinfandel kits, chaptalizing both to ~11%. Both came out good, but I'm primarily a dry red drinker, so I typically opened a bottle when someone who preferred a sweeter wine was visiting. The last bottle of Pom/Zin lasted 5 years, I gave the last 2 bottles of the Apple/Riesling to my sister & niece at the 7 year mark. The A/R lasted longer 'cuz I'm more likely to drink a red.

I recently bottled 6 batches -- only one will have longevity, which is by design. Elderberry is off-dry, so I like it, but most will go to my d-in-l (she's why I made it) and some to her mom. FWK Tavola Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir (no skin packs) were made for short term consumption. The PN is a turkey wine, nice red, lighter in body, good with turkey. Maybe salmon.

Frutta Strawberry and Blackberry were made 'cuz LP was clearing the warehouse last spring and there was nothing else I wanted. They are tasty, but I'll end up giving a lot away.

The above wines are all ~6 months old, and I expect will be gone in less than 2 years.

Chocolate Raspberry Port? This one will last 5 to 7 years, mostly because I don't drink ports often and I have half a batch remaining of each Coffee and Black Forest Ports.

Last year I bottled heavy reds (now 2 years old). One is fully drinkable now, the other needs another year or two. I'll probably have a case of the latter 5 years from now as I'll conserve it (see Rule #1 above). Yesterday we bottled two more heavy reds, each of which needs at least another year in the bottle, and moved new wines (Grenache & Tempranillo) into the barrels.

The only question is, "where the $&#* am I going to store all these bottles????" :p

There is exactly 2 ways to age a batch of wine -- 1) Make more than you drink. 2) Make wine you don't like to drink or don't drink often.

I made Apple/Riesling and Pomegranate/Zinfandel kits, chaptalizing both to ~11%. Both came out good, but I'm primarily a dry red drinker, so I typically opened a bottle when someone who preferred a sweeter wine was visiting. The last bottle of Pom/Zin lasted 5 years, I gave the last 2 bottles of the Apple/Riesling to my sister & niece at the 7 year mark. The A/R lasted longer 'cuz I'm more likely to drink a red.

I recently bottled 6 batches -- only one will have longevity, which is by design. Elderberry is off-dry, so I like it, but most will go to my d-in-l (she's why I made it) and some to her mom. FWK Tavola Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir (no skin packs) were made for short term consumption. The PN is a turkey wine, nice red, lighter in body, good with turkey. Maybe salmon.

Frutta Strawberry and Blackberry were made 'cuz LP was clearing the warehouse last spring and there was nothing else I wanted. They are tasty, but I'll end up giving a lot away.

The above wines are all ~6 months old, and I expect will be gone in less than 2 years.

Chocolate Raspberry Port? This one will last 5 to 7 years, mostly because I don't drink ports often and I have half a batch remaining of each Coffee and Black Forest Ports.

Last year I bottled heavy reds (now 2 years old). One is fully drinkable now, the other needs another year or two. I'll probably have a case of the latter 5 years from now as I'll conserve it (see Rule #1 above). Yesterday we bottled two more heavy reds, each of which needs at least another year in the bottle, and moved new wines (Grenache & Tempranillo) into the barrels.

The only question is, "where the $&#* am I going to store all these bottles????" :p
I'm willing to bet you'll find a place for every single bottle! 😁

I'm willing to bet you'll find a place for every single bottle! 😁
Thanks for the vote of confidence! Mrs. WM81 is NOT fond of cases of wines stacked against a wall ... I need to get creative. I'll probably end up giving away a couple cases of wine (total) to various people, just to clear space.

I have a pair of 132 count wire rack I purchased from a liquor store that was going out of business. One has been in my attic for decades, as I had no place to install it. We are juggling things in the house, and since I WFH I have a dedicated office. I see handy wall space ........

LOL! You REALLY had a batch of wine last 7 years, ROFL! Lol, lol! I just don't see it!
Enjoyed the last bottle of a seven year old RJS RQ2015 Chilean Cab/Merlot this past summer. Was excellent from 3 years all the way through the last bottle at 7. That was the oldest kit wine I've had so far. Normally I'll only keep a bottle or two of the better reds until 5 years, but it was obvious that this one at the 4-5 year mark would age further without dropping off. Wish I would have saved more of that one.

@blkcloud63 just to add another factor (having been stung by it) - make sure you have good quality corks of the appropriate size!

In the UK, #8 corks seem to be preference but I've discovered that after 15mths my wine has gone - oxidised. It's taken a lot of searching but I've upgraded to #9s and an hoping my wine lasts longer!

Latest posts

Back