aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter8

Junior
Reaction score
how well do fruit wines age?is there anything i need to add to help the process?and how long will they keep?i'm currently making a batch of strawberry. thanx.

Fruit wines will age fairly well if proper sulfite levels are watched. The higher the nabv the better the wine will last also but high abv fruit wines usually dont go well together with the exception of a few like Blackberry, Black Currant, Elderberry, and a few more.

Alchohol by volume. In example the abv of most wines is 12% which breaks down to 24 proof!

Brek down to 24 proof... pplease define this... I have never heard of this before...thanks

Brek down to 24 proof... pplease define this... I have never heard of this before...thanks

Alcohol is measured in percent of alcohol by volume (ABV). The PROOF is twice the ABV.

When you buy vodka and it's 80 proof, that means that it is 40% alcohol.

Wine is generally measured in abv.

Most fruit wines will benefit from ageing, and can be aged for many years when made properly.
Just the same as for grape wines.
Most grape wines are not made for aging and so are most fruit wines not made for aging.

Wine that needs to be aged needs a good alcohol percentage like 12% or a bit more, and the right level of tannin and sulphite. Both are needed as a conserving means.

Elderberry wine for example can be aged for many years.
My oldest is now 5 years.

Rose petal wine should be aged at least a year as when drunk sooner it will taste like perfume.

Beet wine needs to age at least 4 years.
Mine has aged now 3 years and still tastes like your chewing mud. Although it improves each year a bit.

Dandelion wine needs to age at least a year, so do apple wines.

However my apple-peach does not need to age at all. It is ready to be consumed as soon as it is finished.
A strawberry wine can also be consumed immediately.

It all depends on the kind of wine you are making.
But when properly made it CAN be aged for many years.

Luc

LUC, please explain this further.

You say, "most grape wines are not made for aging"

So where do we get this idea that "thiss wine is 20 yeras old", it HAS to be good.

We both know that some wnes are excellent after only 2 yrs, while others need more aging.

So why the "hooplah" about an old wine?

Latest posts

Back