aging question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mumazilla

Reaction score
I made 3 gallons of pumpkin wine 12-10-16. It has been racked and is crystal clear, in a 3 gallon carboy. I've add 1/4t P Meta 6-6-17 (SG at .994) (and on 3-17 SG was .998). It doesn't taste good at all, but I want to hang on to it and see if the cloves mellow out some with age.

So, my question is, is it stable enough to rack into gallon carboys and cap them with a screw top? I really need that 3 gallon for my blueberry melomel, I don't want to age that in the 5 gallon it's been in for a week nor do I want to split it into 3 single gallon jugs.

Bungs form a better seal than screw tops. If you're going to be keeping it in there for any length of time, bungs will protect the wine much better.

Unless you've added Potassium SORBATE to stabilize (to prevent any re-fermentation as I see your sg indicates there may be some sugars available) I would include an airlock with that bung!! Otherwise you may find yourself searching for it some day...

I can add P Sorbate, but I thought that was added just before bottling, just before back sweetening. Is it ok to add and not bottle for another 3-6 months?

I was under the impression that an SG at or below .998 indicated an essentially complete fermentation. There are many on this site who indicate that they do not sorbate their dry wines at all. At what SG is it safe to store non-sorbated wine with a solid bung rather than an airlock?

I was under the impression that an SG at or below .998 indicated an essentially complete fermentation. There are many on this site who indicate that they do not sorbate their dry wines at all. At what SG is it safe to store non-sorbated wine with a solid bung rather than an airlock?

I like the vented bungs for bulk aging. But haven't ever used solid bungs.
Since SG can go down to .990 + and the alcohol skews the readings making 1.000 not completely dry. But it's gotta vary right? So even though .990 may be dry for one , .994 may be completely dry for another.... I would think.
I agr ee with the .998. As long as your under 1.000 and it's not moving any more, you should be good to go. But why risk it? Either add sorbate as mentioned above (more work, more waiting) or use an airlock or vented bung.

Last edited:
Fermentation is not the only thing that can pop a bung. CO2 can build up, especially if the temps change significantly and they can do at this time of year even in basements.

Point is why risk a popped bung, or broken carboy when it's so easy to use an airlock. About every 2-3 months I change the solution in my airlocks as well. At that time I've often found there was some pressure built-up indicated by the floating plastic inside being raised up to the top. That would indicate either off-gassing of CO2 or a fermentation restart. So far none of my wines have restarted fermentation so i suspect it's just the gassing off of CO2 - and it's a good thing for your wine to pass that gas..

Last edited:
To keep dust and bugs out of a carboy not in use. :)

Really using Murphy's law, expect the unexpected and be safe.
I'd never use it not even to cover my sanitizing solutions. (I use a plastic screw on cap then)

I've made a lot of wines and have yet to have one bottom out at more than .992 .... .990-.992 is the usual and I wait till I've had 3 days of no change before I call it done. If I have no intentions of back sweetening or adding any type of sugar bearing substances, I will forego the Sorbate.

I've made a lot of wines and have yet to have one bottom out at more than .992 .... .990-.992 is the usual and I wait till I've had 3 days of no change before I call it done. If I have no intentions of back sweetening or adding any type of sugar bearing substances, I will forego the Sorbate.

So are you wondering about using an airlock or not? O bulk aging?

I'd always use an airlock, up until I bottle it, and I'll always bulk age. (Unless I know I won't be upright and walking when it's time to bottle it)

Allowing it to out-gas CO2 - The reason for always airlocking.
Allowing any precipitation to occur and I can always make a last minute change to the wine - Reason to bulk age.

A re-start of fermentation may not be present with a dry wine but... it's no real trouble to maintain an airlock.

So are you wondering about using an airlock or not? O bulk aging?

I'd always use an airlock, up until I bottle it, and I'll always bulk age. (Unless I know I won't be upright and walking when it's time to bottle it)

Allowing it to out-gas CO2 - The reason for always airlocking.
Allowing any precipitation to occur and I can always make a last minute change to the wine - Reason to bulk age.

A re-start of fermentation may not be present with a dry wine but... it's no real trouble to maintain an airlock.

Simply responding to the question regarding the end of fermentation/ need of stabilization. In an earlier post I suggested airlock vs. solid bung to address the issue of incomplete fermentation or the possibility of a restart if back sweetening.
I possess way more airlocks than solid bungs and I use them!!! Solid bungs go on empty carboys. :>

I made 3 gallons of pumpkin wine 12-10-16. It has been racked and is crystal clear, in a 3 gallon carboy. I've add 1/4t P Meta 6-6-17 (SG at .994) (and on 3-17 SG was .998). It doesn't taste good at all, but I want to hang on to it and see if the cloves mellow out some with age.

So, my question is, is it stable enough to rack into gallon carboys and cap them with a screw top? I really need that 3 gallon for my blueberry melomel, I don't want to age that in the 5 gallon it's been in for a week nor do I want to split it into 3 single gallon jugs.

Been out of town for a week, but reading your first post, you've added twice the dose of sulfite needed, it's normally 1/4 tsp per 6 gallons, which could be affecting your taste as well. Good news is that it'll decrease over time, and your wine is quite well protected.

Yes, I did write that, and in reality it was not a level 1/4t, it was less, It was just easier to type. lol I suppose I could've said scant 1/4 tsp. But that bad taste is just the overwhelming cloves. That's all I taste, but I don't like cloves, but the recipe called for it, so maybe I'm just more grossed out by it. I'm a beginner. I'll have some friends taste it and give me their opinion.
Thanks for all the replies.

Not sure of the post went thru....trying one more time...

Okay - true confession time. I know some might disagree completely, and that is fine, but hear me out on this.

I get nervous leaving a carboy in a closet or other storage space for months or years with the potential to explode. Plus I feel like Gollum....'my precious' and all that. So my solution is simple and effective (at least from my perspective).

I take a rubber bung that is drilled for the airlock. I then take a 2 x 4" (approximately) piece of clean paper towel. I fold it in half to 1 x 4 inches. Next I roll it into a cylinder, but slightly offset so I get a somewhat blunt but pointy end. I then soak it in metabisulfite solution and twist it into the hole in the bung. It's an extremely tight fit and makes a squeaking sound as I do this.

I then put the bung tightly in the carboy. Couple of things going on now....

1. The towel is soaked in sanitizer and wards off bad bugs even after drying.
2. It allows controlled off-gassing if things kick back up...no explosions.
3. It allows slight mocro-oxygenation (did I spell that right?!?!?)....VERY slight.
4. I have left these in carboys for a couple of years with no adverse results.

Works like a charm and lets me sleep at night instead of wondering where I left the mop as I panic over the spreading pool of my precious.

Also it comes out easily with a little soaking - doesn't ruin the bung at all.

Latest posts

Back