Aging of Beer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been bulk aging a 20 minute boil Amber Bock kit for about a month and half now. I need to get drinking up before I have enough bottles to get this bottled. If I bulk age the beer for a few months, will I need to add more yeast back when I bottle carb it? Are there any additives I should be adding to be when you bulk age that long?

Thanks!

Interesting!! I have my first batch of beer, an Amber bock kit from Midwest, that will be ready to bottle tomorrow, the recommended 2 week time frame! I can't answer your question, but my husband is anxious to try the beer as he is not a wine drinker! Hopefully someone will come on that knows more about beer than I do...did you try asking your question to Midwest? They usually will reply to a question in a day.

I age my beer in primary for two weeks. Transfer to secondary for a month. Finally I let it sit in a keg, or bottles, for another month. If bottling just add your priming sugar you'll be fine. Beer is like wine, it needs to age (just not as long).

Cheers.

Jim

You definitely do not need to use additives. Aging your beer isn't a problem as long as it isn't a high hop aroma style.

You will have enough yeast left in suspension to bottle condition if you bottle by 6 months. Anything after that I would err on the side of caution and add dry yeast. Give your beer at least 3 weeks around 70 degrees to carbonate. Generally speaking, high alcohol and aged beers need more time to carbonate.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I don't know about LittleBearGameFarm, but my amber bock turned out great! We are trying to let it sit bottled for a month, but not sure that is going to happen. I have a happy husband! So I have more kits arriving tomorrow so if I get ahead of the game maybe we'll have some that will age longer than 2 weeks!

Latest posts

Back