Aging for Sorbate to dissipate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does the sorbate "bubblegum" taste dissipate faster when kept in bulk in a carboy, as opposed to in the bottle?
I have my carboy sealed with a vented silicon bung. I'm thinking the vented bung would move that process along faster than it would take the sorbate taste to diminish in individual corked bottles.
I would very much like to enjoy this LE Sauv Blanc Rosè this summer.

I am not sure it will dissipate. the sorbate for kits is to provide a guarantee the wine will be stable. I would suggest eliminating it in your next kit especially since you can taste the chemical. it is not required as long as wine ferments dry and you do not back sweeten. If sweetening is required use straight glycerin which is not fermentable and will not require use of sorbate.

In my experience, no. I will say that I left one in the carboy for about 10 months before I bottled and it did dissipate more compared to the ones I bottled immediately.

It took me 3 kits before I realized the sorbate was not good for dry reds.

In my experience, no. I will say that I left one in the carboy for about 10 months before I bottled and it did dissipate more compared to the ones I bottled immediately.

It took me 3 kits before I realized the sorbate was not good for dry reds.

Nice! A direct comparison. Thanks for sharing. I figured this could be the case, but did not know for sure.
I fermented dry and was not intending on backsweetening and planned to disregard the sorbate. But I accidentally added while working on autopilot. I also erred and added the packet of k-meta that day when I added a 1/4 tsp a week earlier. Guess my mind was somewhere else that day. All good in the end. I'll be bottling this tomorrow actually.

Back