Aging after Chitosan?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chromedome93

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all, I recently finished up a WE Bravado and I added the sorbate and sulphite along with the Chitosan. I also added the oak cubes and originally was going to only leave it for about a week to clear then rack it. But the more I read I was thinking of keeping it on the cubes for about 3 weeks.

Now my question, is that too long to keep on the sludge / dead yeast? If so next time should I add the chemicals wait for it to clear and then rack and begin aging for my time frame?

I know alot of you suggest aging without adding some of the additives but I dont have the room I need to bottle age them with my setup unfortunately.

Thank you all for your help I really enjoy the forum.

Hello all, I recently finished up a WE Bravado and I added the sorbate and sulphite along with the Chitosan. I also added the oak cubes and originally was going to only leave it for about a week to clear then rack it. But the more I read I was thinking of keeping it on the cubes for about 3 weeks.

Now my question, is that too long to keep on the sludge / dead yeast? If so next time should I add the chemicals wait for it to clear and then rack and begin aging for my time frame?

I know alot of you suggest aging without adding some of the additives but I dont have the room I need to bottle age them with my setup unfortunately.

Thank you all for your help I really enjoy the forum.

My preference is to get the wine off of that initial sludge as soon as it settles and compacts. For that reason, I don't add any oak until after that racking off of the big deposits. But it's no big deal, your oak is probably floating anyway, so rack off of the lees and when you have all of the wine out, just dump your cubes and sludge through a strainer. Use some HOT water to rinse all of the lees through the strainer, spritz with sulfite solution if you like, harvest your cubes, and put them into your newly racked wine. You'll be good to go there for a few months.........

Latest posts

Back