Age of grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizzy

Reaction score
So I am SUPER far behind on doin this. Had to postpone a few times already. Totally blew the season of the place 10 minutes away, what can you do.
I called to make my order at a shop an hour away which has a much better selection however.
The grapes I want they DO have in stock, but they said they are 10 days old already and they aren't getting more. I was hoping to pick up a week from now (they will get other grapes but not this). MAYBE I could pick up in two days if I can switch up my schedule.
Thinking it's not the best idea and I might go with whatever they get in stock later next week, but I wanted to ask in general- how does the age of grapes affect things, and is there a cut off point of when is no longer worth it (a day? couple days? a week? etc)

If they are kept under deep refrigeration they should be fine. Many wineries in the Midwest get grapes shipped over in refer's every year.

I went in person today since I was sure on the Riesling juice I wanted. I ended up going with a Cab Sauv from a region I've actually been in (east of Red Mountain) which has had the best Cabs I've ever had to date. However they let me look at all the grapes and ones that were a few days old were doing just fine. I'm not sure if someone was just confused I talked to on the phone- there were no grapes anywhere near 10 days sitting there, they all were either delivered Friday (5 days ago) or yesterday. That person also told me they were sold out of Riesling for the season, but I ordered it just fine online, so who knows.

Latest posts

Back