After your done making your wine.....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubaman2151

Reaction score
After your done making your wine, what do you do with it? What I mean by that is, some of the wine kits you can buy allow you to make 6 gallons of wine, that give you like 25-30 bottles of wine. What do you do with it all?

Well, I don't know about everyone else but I drink it. :D I imagine you are talking about storage though. I have wine racks I store my bottles on.

I bottle them and drink them :D

If bottling is a no-go you might try to get some bag-in-a-box storage boxes.
No good for long term but excellent for short term storage and
drinking when needed.

Luc

I'm working on my first batch of wine so I don't have experience but I intend to drink it. I figure I will sample a bottle every month from 6months to 1year then drink it as I need after that, saving a couple bottles to age for longer. I figure it should last 3 to 6 months at the rate I use wine. I guess that means I should make a new batch 3 to 4 times a year.
Ofcourse I may give away a few bottles and I'm sure I will share a few more at dinner parties. And my first batch is a big red wine that should age well. And I have been brewing beer for a while so the beer has to be drunk too.

Craig

Naturally, wine is to be consumed there would be no other reason to make it. So, I would guess you're asking about storage. After bottling I store the bottles in plastic tote boxes (Wal Mart) that have covers. They protect the wine from sun light and offer a convenient storage. You should try to keep the wine at a constant temp., ideal would around 60F. The best I can do is 75F and it works for me.

I store most of my wine in the carboard boxes that the bottles came in.

Steve

I drink it.. in fact, my first batch I gave 75% of it away for xmas gifts. We were low on cash after we bought our house... it went over very well!

As for storage, I bought a 96 bottle wooden wine rack. I have yet to put it together, since I am finishing my basement all of our stuff moved into where the wine cellar will be built.

People are not kidding also, when they recommend a year of storage for any wine kits you make. They are pretty rough on a taster if they wait 3-4 months. You should recommend 6-12 months aging before opening. Also people should decant the whole bottle if they plan on consuming it in a group setting. This will help tone down the tasting.

Also, make sure that you took great care when de-gassing. I didn't do enough and people had wine coolers on some bottles when others enjoyed a typical bottle of manufactured-tasting wine.

Good luck!

I've been giving out about 25% of each batch. Some of my earlier batches have been more widely distributed, but that's more of a case of whether someone else has a barbeque party or if some friends from out of town visit. I'm working with a friend who's going to be giving away some of last year's Chocolate Orange Port out as a Christmas present, so in that case, about two-thirds of the yield will be distributed immediately.

For storage, I've got a wine rack that can store 29 cases, and it's about one-third full right now. I've only be doing kit wines, but I've got 12 varieties ranging from 2 months to 2 years old.

Latest posts

Back