After the first fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopin

Reaction score
Maybe this is another silly questions but anyway

After the first fermentation is it always supposed
to be skins above and juice underneath it?

The reason I am asking is that up to know I managed very well with a tube to do the racking, just penetrated the skins mass and the liquid went very well through the tube, but this last time this was impossible. The skins were everywhere, up, down, left, right, in a word, a mess. I mean they blocked the tube so I was forced to do it manually.

I am talking always about the grape wine

Thanks

Try a strainer bag

Maybe next time you could use a strainer bag for the grapes. You can get them at at your LHBS. Some people even use nylons for this. I used a strainer bag for my batch of white concord grape and it worked great for keeping all the little seeds contained.

Well, thanks Rocket, at least one answer.

So you think that not being able to do it with a tube, it's normal?

I put mine through a fine mesh sieve.
Don't worry, it is ok that the skins are floating etc. It happens sometimes.

You won't have any problem using a tube if you put the grapes in a bag. Just give a real good squeeze and take it out before you rack and you won't have any chunks getting caught in the tube. Are you using a siphon with an anti sediment tip or are you just using a flexible tube?

No, Rocket, I don't know about this "siphon with an antisediment tip", mine is a flexible tube. MAybe that's the problem. Anyway, I am more clear now.

Thanks again

I usually ferment my kits in a fermenting bag but when you are doing grape wines from grapes that would be tough. As far as kits go thiugh I usually use the bag but not always depending on how big the grape pack is. If its a big one then I klet it all go free to get good exposure and then use a small stainless steel coloander that is sanitized firts and scoop all the grapes I can off the top first and then squeeze all the goodness out of them into primary. Get yourself a racking cane or even better an autosiphon as they both have the anti-sediment tip on there that will aid you with this problem.

If you have things floating through your wine and a tube for siphoning.. of course stuff will get up the tube and block it.. I had the same problem when I made grapefruit wine.. all the zest got jammed in it. ( brain was elsewhere that day)

Strain the must through a strainer lined with muslin, from primary to secondary while still fermenting, to remove the dross.. airlock it and continue as normal. It'll be fine..

Allie

Latest posts

Back