After Harvest & Dormant Vines - Pest Control

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

we5inelgr

Reaction score
Hi all,

Pest control for post harvest and when vines are dormant, what the recommendation genearlly?

I'm near the Lodi CA AVA, and had some issues with powdery mildew and a serious issue with leafhoppers on Cab Sauv and Petite Sirah vines.

Now that the fruit has been harvested, what, if anything is recommended until bud break in the spring?

I'm thinking in terms of how many pests (insects, bacteria, fungus, etc) "overwinter" in dormant vines.

Thanks.

This is something I am trying to figure out as well. The Midwest Fruit Pest Management Guide says to continue what you did earlier in the season to control downy mildew and powdery mildew. Those are the only two pests they list for post-harvest control.

I plan to hit my grapes with either Abound or Rally once or twice (maybe once each). Harvest is complete in my vineyard.

H

After you prune in winter, hit the vines with lime sulphur. That will kill off the buggers that get into the bark. I spray right after I prune.

After you prune in winter, hit the vines with lime sulphur. That will kill off the buggers that get into the bark. I spray right after I prune.

Darn leafhoppers overwinter on the ground. Rake, and clean out the detritus below the vines. I found better results from spraying with horticultural oils than pyganic soil drench at berry set.

Latest posts

Back