aerobic fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becks the Elder

Country Wines.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Anyone following my posts will know that I have made my Elderberry wine must using dried elderberries and raisins. Also that I made too much. So, I bought a second fermentation bin and halved the must. I now have 2 3.5 Imp. Gallon batches. Yeast and yeast nutrients will be added tomorrow morning and the aerobic fermentation will get underway...

So now I want to know... (you can see it coming can't you) when should I rack the must to 1 Imp. Gallon demijohns?

I originally thought I should leave the must for between 4 and 6 days and then start the anaerobic fermentation. However, I have read that one should check the SG of the must and only rack for anaerobic fermentation once you get an SG of 1.020

What is recommended? Should I test it or just time it?

Secondly, am I right in thinking that the must should be stirred twice a day and the cap forced well down into the liquid each time?

Sorry for the endless questions but at least after this first batch I'll know what I'm doing!

Thanks, Becks.

Last edited:
I typically rack at 1.015 and dont worry about racking over some sediment, keep all your wine even if over and put it in a seperate vessel for topping off later.

Back