Advise please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinobeau

Reaction score
I'm currently fermenting 5 gallons of Cranberry wine. I have 20 pounds of berries, ( The local Aldi had them on clearance for $0.63 per pound ). I was thinking of using the berries for a second fermentation and adding 5 pounds of wild grapes. The grapes will certainly overpower the cranberries, but the cranberries will cut some of the harshness of the grapes. It would be best to simply do a 2 gallon second run of the berries, and a separate 2 gallon batch of the wild grapes; and then blend them in a year. But, any thoughts on ratios if I do them all at once?

I'm currently fermenting 5 gallons of Cranberry wine. I have 20 pounds of berries, ( The local Aldi had them on clearance for $0.63 per pound ). I was thinking of using the berries for a second fermentation and adding 5 pounds of wild grapes. The grapes will certainly overpower the cranberries, but the cranberries will cut some of the harshness of the grapes. It would be best to simply do a 2 gallon second run of the berries, and a separate 2 gallon batch of the wild grapes; and then blend them in a year. But, any thoughts on ratios if I do them all at once?

So as long as you are willing to experiment, why not do half one way and the other half the other way.... KEEP RECORD OF WHAT YOU DO.

So as long as you are willing to experiment, why not do half one way and the other half the other way.... KEEP RECORD OF WHAT YOU DO.

Although, there may be a slight difference in fermenting a batch containing both the cranberries and the grapes, after reading your post, I think that I will ferment the grapes and the second run of cranberries separately. Then I will have the fun of blending the two and back sweetening them into the perfect wine!

Back