Advice on some Rose Petal wine.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myakkagldwngr

Reaction score
I've lucked out and the wife came home today with two good sized bags of rose petals from where she worked.
I have also checked the recipe section and see there are two recipes, both have something else added. Orange and lemon on one and another flower on the other.
I'm open to any and all advice. I plan on putting them together into a primary tomorrow morning. Right now I have them in the 'fridge, just waiting.

I made some rosehip flower wine, not as fragrant as the type you have, but first I poured boiling water ove r them and allowed them to sit overnight, and then put them into a ferment bag. I also used "some" white grape juice as a base. Also with this wine do not try to go to high on the alcohol. I wouldn't even think about going over 12%. Also, I would think one gallon of petals per gallon of liquid, anything less amy not be enough.

So far this is what I've done.
I measured them out using a 2 quart measuring bowl.
I ended up with 2 full gallons of rose petals, and I mean full, not fluffy gallons.
I added 1 gallon of boiling water, 2 gallons of water just as hot as it comes out of my tap, and that is hot. I turn pink when I take a bath.
To this I added two campden tablets, 2 teaspoons of pectin enzyme, 1 1/2 each of nutrient and energizer.
The zest and juice of 2 each lemons and navel oranges.
Also to the mix I added 12 ounces of golden raisans.
I let it sit over night in a primary.
This afternoon, after stirring it up good, I checked the SG and it was 1.01 before any sugar.
I'll add some sugar tomorrow.
I used Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast being it's what I had on hand.
I know the smell right now is nice with the orange and lemon zest and juice.
What do you think, run the SG up to 1.06 or so?
I hadn't really thought of trying this, but when it came up having free rose petals, I couldn't pass it up.

looks good to me.. are you going to add any tannin?

( having difficulty blocking the mental pic of a pink goldwing in a bath full of rose petals....)

Allie

Is there any chance there are pesticides or fungicides on the petals? They would likely stop fermentation if present, but even if not you don't want to risk drinking the residue. :s

If all clear you could consider a mead. It's called rhodomel by mead geeks. With 2 packed gallons of petals you could make a 5 gallon batch. If you go that route clover honey might be a good pick. Considering the raisins you'd probably need about 9-10 lbs of honey to get to sg 1.06.

-edit: did some research and the 5 gallon recipes often call for 1 gallon or less of rose petals. 2 gallons might be enough to make a larger batch.

Last edited:
I figured that tomorrow or so when I add some sugar, I might up it to 6 gallons. I would like to do honey, but don't know if I can swing buying a gallon.
Sure do wish I still had the 25 hives my brother and I used to own. I do still have the old hand extractor.

And no St. Allie, I haven't added any tannin, but do have some. That's why I was asking for advice on this one.
My Goldwing, is Black. That is the fastest color. Remember, even light can't escape a Black Hole!
Stand at your light switch and see if when you turn it off you can beat the "BLACK" to bed.

You want to stick with food grade roses, kosher if you can get them. They will be the cleanest, highest grade you can get. To raise them food grade, no commercial pesticides or fertilizers. Use a pressurized sprayer with some baking soda and a sticker solution like Murphy's oil soap nightly to discourage pests and black spot, maybe some wetabke sulphur. Release dome lady beetles and green lacewings i in the garden to deal with the pests.

Latest posts

Back