Advice on a new Rusty corker...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bramble

Reaction score
I am aboiut to purchase a 2-handed Portugeese (sp?) corker. Actually I just bought it but it is still in the pkg.
On close examination, I discovered numerous, quite a lot actually, tiny rust points on the main metal stem.
I belive they could be sanded out very easily, however I would rather not start off with a field of rusties on new equipment.

So, how common is this? Does your portugal 2-handed corker have these tiny rust freckles or is mine atypical?

I probably can cet a replacement sent from the local supplier,
but who knows if the replacement will be any better....

Complain or look the other way?

I’ve been using the same Portuguese floor corker for many years, it came rust free and is still the same today. Were it me, accepting a brand new corker with rust on it wouldn’t be a consideration, I’d return it for a proper one.

Return the two handed corker and invest in a floor corker, trust us the extra money is worth it.

I bought an old, worn Ferrari floor corker off craigslist 5 or so years ago for $40 or $50. I took it all apart, cleaned and saw that it had seen many of bottles in its life, but the important brass jaws were still in good shape. I swapped out the worn moving parts and it worked like a champ for thousands of bottles and then later upgraded the pivot point to bearings. I expect this to last another 10 years. The point is that I like buying used stuff, but I would buy what will work for you in the long run, before investing time and money into it.

I will be taking it back to the store, with an eye on a 10% discount. The rust spots, although numerous, are tiny and I doubt the store would be willing to entertain much more of a discount. Unfortuneatly, there is no competition here and also no local sources of floor models or used gear that I am aware of. But I would indeed love a floor corker! Thanks for all the advice. I should know by the 26th.

I will be taking it back to the store, with an eye on a 10% discount. The rust spots, although numerous, are tiny and I doubt the store would be willing to entertain much more of a discount. Unfortuneatly, there is no competition here and also no local sources of floor models or used gear that I am aware of. But I would indeed love a floor corker! Thanks for all the advice. I should know by the 26th.

Craigs list is the place to search. I purchased a $200 Italian floor corked for $30.

WV

Got the 2-handed Portugeese at 67% what I paid for it...
Sanding took away the shine and left evidence behind though.
Perhaps I should learn more about corrective sanding?

Definately want to upgrade to a floor model;
I saw that labelpeelers sell an adpter that allows you to cork or cap using the same floor corker... does anyone know which Italian floor corker it works with?
and...
that it really doesn't work with the cheaper Portugeese version?

My dream device... would cork and cap all sizes and materials and be very easy on the money.

Back