Advice--Make one gallon of?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winefarm

Junior
Reaction score
I have a two gallons of Welch's going now but have a 1 gallon jug sitting empty and might as well go with something. What is not too hard for a beginner that I could try, other than a concentrate.
There is a farmer's market nearby with some really large, sweet blackberries so that is an option.

I say dive right in. Go for the blackberries and don't look back. That's what I did 7 years ago and learned a ton along the way. :try

I have a two gallons of Welch's going now but have a 1 gallon jug sitting empty and might as well go with something. What is not too hard for a beginner that I could try, other than a concentrate.
There is a farmer's market nearby with some really large, sweet blackberries so that is an option.

Always make sure you have an empty jug when it's time to rack!

I agree with Bob, if you have only one empty jug you will want to keep it empty fpor racking your other wines unless they are already perfectly clear and are ready to bottle as is. As long as you have all the ingredients needed to make a batch of wine from fresh fruit go for it but please post the recipe you are going to use before jumping in.

I like to keep one jug, carboy of each size empty for racking. but if worse comes to worse use a primary to rack into while you clean the jug you're using.

Agreed - always nice to have an empty on stand by for racking.

You can also go with strawberry wine - the strawberries are going pretty cheap now.

Thanks all. I forgot to mention that I actually have two spare one gallon jugs, one for racking and one for making. Thanks for the advice. Strawberry or blackberry it is. Might try some fig if I can still find some.

Thanks all. I forgot to mention that I actually have two spare one gallon jugs, one for racking and one for making. Thanks for the advice. Strawberry or blackberry it is. Might try some fig if I can still find some.

from those who have tried either or both, does persimmon compare to fig?
in prep, primary, taste, etc.?

Never had persimmon myself so please tell me more of it, I dont even think Ive ever even seen one.

Persimmon wine is awesome. So is the fruit (just to eat). In Missouri we have lots of persimmon trees. If it is ripe it is juicy but if it isn't ripe it will pucker your mouth. Some of the best fruit is on the ground, especially for wine making

Persimmon wine is awesome. So is the fruit (just to eat). In Missouri we have lots of persimmon trees. If it is ripe it is juicy but if it isn't ripe it will pucker your mouth. Some of the best fruit is on the ground, especially for wine making

Koom - i see you are in fenton - about 30 min from me :h - there is actually a persimmon winery not far from you - Persimmon Ridge, located in Barnhart, MO.

Koom - i see you are in fenton - about 30 min from me :h - there is actually a persimmon winery not far from you - Persimmon Ridge, located in Barnhart, MO.
winefarm, did u go with blackberry or strawberry? anxious to hear!
and
is there a link or just google "persimmon ridge winery"?...i'm considering a missouri trip this fall, get in some trout fishing with some wine tasting if we can!

Last edited:
Winemaker, you know of any place around St Louis area that sells persimmons? Trying to get them wild is a pain in the butt

Latest posts

Back