Advice for Wine Making Room

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had thought about that John but I wanted to be able to close the area off. If we didn't have any kids around maybe I would have been more apt to go that way. Also, I thought it would be easier to maintain the environment/sanitation in a closed off area. Maybe not but that was my thinking.

Thanks

Make your main work table out of laminate 36 inches deep. This way you can easily slide your carboys around ( two deep) and still have room to work in front of them. The vinyl double sink is a great suggestion.

That may be a good idea. Reason I couldn't go with deeper counters is because I need the room to be able to open the doors to the closets. Building a larger table would definitely be nice and I could install casters on it to be able to roll it out of the way if I need to get a door open.

Thanks

If you don't want to use laminate, get some smooth "tileboard". I suggest placing carboys on a piece of carpet to slide them around. I also suggest you make a wraparound Jacket for the carboys, using velcro.

YOu know, you could always use the shower in the garage bathroom for a winerack, freeing up space in your wine making room.

That shower has had many uses :h

It is now supposed to be the place to give the dogs a bath, up on the platform with the shower wand. I think my wife may like that back sooner than later. It would be perfect to build some racks in there though.... hmmm...

Slowly but surely, things are getting done. Here will be the bottle storage. Wanted to use this patio door after I ended up getting it for free but it has the one nonoperational side. I built the shelves at an angle so the bottles (hopefully) roll down. I figure it will hold 269 bottles. I need to get some more wine going!

Wine Cellar.JPG

I'm really enjoying this post, looking good and you're coming up with some clever solutions. Keep up with the updates. Your bottle storage is like the really old soda machines, just need a slot to drop in change.

Mike

I was looking at that, and thinking how clever it was to use the patio door...
Very nice...
Then i started thinking of how to make the one door usable.
You could, (with spare time, which none of us have)..
Take the frame apart...cut frame to fit opening.
Cut glass, assemble the frame...and put on hinge pins..top and bottom..
That way , the one door would slide, the other pivot.....
Good job on the wine closet...I like it.

A little bit more work got done this past weekend. I hope to be able to get to the floor next weekend. I got an apple wine going last week but I still have a lot of empty carboys. The 1 gal's and the 5gal on the left have a Green Tomato Chardonnay in them, oaked the 5 gal and not the 1 gal's, want to see if there is a taste difference. Surprisingly (to me anyway), this stuff tastes awesome! That's a Red Ale on the right. The right side cabinet is consistently 5-6 degrees colder with the exposed concrete wall. Also, you can see some mason jars of Jack Keller's Apple Pie Moonshine, its potent (my wife wants me stay away from it so she has it for Country Fest).

After putting the apple wine together last week in the old bathroom, and then getting some more work done in the new wine room, I can't wait until this is ready. Still need to figure out the sink and counters but that shouldn't take too long. Having the peg board on the doors to the carboy closet so all of the tools are right at arms reach is going to be great.

New Door.JPG

Neat Storage.JPG

Carboys.JPG

I recommend you go out and get the Feb Mar edition of WineMaker Magazine. They have a article on that very thing. YOu will get some ideas.

Got the floor pretty much done this weekend and it turned out great. Still have to finish the base trim. false beams on ceiling, and lighting. The actual wine making room has taken a back seat to getting our basement liveable again. I was able to get a WE Shiraz and an Amber Bock going this weekend. Also, divided up my apple wine to make 5 gallons of hard cider and about 6 gallons of apple wine that I am going to experiment with some flavors. I would like to have the wine room done by then so I'm not running all over to get supplies/materials. Even had time to relax yesterday and watch the Badgers beat MSU!

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

Just about finished, finally, with the wine room. Installed a plastic (cheap) utility sink. Was able to pick up a fridge/microwave combo for $100 from my college alma mater. Used cheap mdf for the counters. Just need to finish some trim and plumbing and she's good to go.

Sink.JPG

Shelves.JPG

Walls.JPG

Cellar is starting to get filled, have 8 gallons of DB that is about ready to bottle and 5 gallons of some apple combinations. Once those are bottled, it'll look a little more fitting. I would like to build a table out of an old wire spool and put that under the three light chandelier. It may be a little crowded then so ditch the couch and get another lazy boy. Great place to sit and watch the Brewers!

Room.JPG

Cellar.JPG

Great looking room. You'll never regret putting in that laudatory tray either. Just ensure you have enough support in that corner for a full sink of water. Being split between two counter tops in the corner like that could post an issue. I'm sure you already got that worked out though. You do damn nice work!

I use these little sensors that I can put right next to a batch. They connect to an app on my phone that sends me alerts when temperature or humidity are out of whack. That way I can know when to use one of the above mentioned ways to warm up or cool things down without constantly checking the thermostat. Lifesaver!

sells on amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GDI510M/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

wine sensor.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a laundry sink turned 90 degrees. it works great. I added a bottle washer. I have shelves circling the room that are carboy thickness from the ceiling (16") to store unused carboys. Inexpensive and safer on carboys. The drawers hold about 5 cases (60) empty clean bottles each. I used full extension slides rated @ 100lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_0459.JPG
    IMG_0459.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
  • 20150224_181933.jpg
    20150224_181933.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • 20150224_181805.jpg
    20150224_181805.jpg
    721.9 KB · Views: 32

Latest posts

Back