Advice for the clueless, anybody?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbcatz

Junior
Reaction score
I had a whole bunch of blackberries in the freezer & thought... maybe wine instead of jam. No computer access at home so I just defrosted them overnight, poured almost a gallon of distilled water on them then squeezed them thru some cheese cloth into a 3 gal. jug. Now with the little I've read I see this can get technical. Can I start with just the juice or do I need the pulp? I have a good 2 gallons but a small opening; no way to get pulp in a bag in there. I'm not looking to do anything fancy, just some hillbilly hooch. Yikes, am i offending anybody by being in the wrong place? lol Anyway, my friend picked me up some wine yeast in the city; the wrong kind. It will have to do though & I can already hear you groaning. Some good news,
I have some campden tablets & pectic enzyme, imagine that, funny huh? So..., being what it is, do you think I can just move on and add some sugar & the yeast. Go ahead & let me have it, i won't be offended. And yes, my stuff was clean :~) .We did this years ago & we just winged it. It turned out really good.
Unfortunately, I don't remember what we did. Maybe it was better that way; not knowing. lol
Any advice would be nice.

Welcome to the forum. Might want to just start it out in a bucket, then transfer after a bit to the container with the small mouth and airlock it. The bucket should have enough room for the pulp so you can get the goodies out of the pulp. Keep the pulp in a bag, maybe a clean paint strainer bag and it is easier to remove when you transfer. If you can get some, purchase some nutrient for wine and use a bit of it. Helps keep the yeast healthy as it is fermenting. Good luck with it, Arne.

Thanks so much, you've all been really helpful. Happy Turkey Day to all of you.

Latest posts

Back