Advice for pomegranate wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ty520

Reaction score
Pomegranates are about ripe and ready here, and was hoping to use the opportunity to turn them into wine and/or mead.

I know they're notoriously hard to get meaningful amounts of flesh and juice from, so was hoping some of you had some experience and advice on maximizing their potential for wine.

I'm thinking i need to blitz them in a food processor, then strain? but a little concerned about how the seeds would affect the final flavor since seeds often impart unwanted characteristics in other country wines

Great question. I may be very wrong but the fruit of the pomegranate that we eat IS the seeds and the seeds are what is delicious in a ripe pomegranate. In my opinion they impart the flavors you want when you think "pomegranate".

Great question. I may be very wrong but the fruit of the pomegranate that we eat IS the seeds and the seeds are what is delicious in a ripe pomegranate. In my opinion they impart the flavors you want when you think "pomegranate".

hmmm, maybe - my impression was that the "kernels" (for lack of a better term) have a very thin bit of juicy flesh over a harder seed

doing some research on juicing pomegranates, and it looks like the majority of people advise methods that do NOT break the seed inside the kernel because they are often bitter/astringent.

Looks like some quick gentle pulses in a blender for jsut a few seconds, or putting them in a bag and smashing them with a rolling pin are the most common ways to extract juice

Crushing the kernels is not the same thing as including them in your must. If you break open the seeds you get the juice and if you use pectic enzymes you will extract more juice. Not sure I see the rationale for using a blender to extract the juice.

I suppose the blender (when used for only a few seconds) quickly opens up the thin layer of flesh around the seed without breaking open the seed itself. I just gently scraped open one of the jewels - hey seem to have an anatomy like miniscule peaches, for lack of a better comparison - it definitely contains a separate definable seed, surrounded by a thin layer of fruity flesh.

After further exploration, i have found that the hard seeds have used as a spice in India and the middle east, called "Anardana"

Freeze the fruit first to break down the structure. I would not use a blender -- even light pulses may break seeds.

Here's a thought -- dissolve pectic enzyme in a cup of water, and add that to the pips when you freeze them. In addition to freezing, the enzyme will start working, and continue working during defrosting.

I'm thinking I'll do a combination of @BernardSmith and @winemaker81 's ideas and freeze them, then let them sit 24 hours in the must with pectic enzyme. Hopefully that'll be enough to extract the juices and let the seeds fall out, then just rack off of them.

Maybe give them a "rough massage" in the bag after freezing before they go into the must

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-10 at 21.01.56.jpeg

I made wine with Pomegranate + grapes berries(used general wine yeast, oenotria WinFerm Champ.
The fermentation is finished 3 some week ago, very slow fermentation, I have done a quick filtering at home.
Now the wine is in a quiet period in a small stainless steel tank. From the taste it does not seem so achieved, I feel that it also has a salty taste, wild, but slightly acetic taste.
The wine is hermetically sealed very well. During the treatment I used a little potassium metabisulfite.

But its still the same taste, looks the view in this photo, what do i do?

View attachment 82032

I made wine with Pomegranate + grapes berries(used general wine yeast, oenotria WinFerm Champ.
The fermentation is finished 3 some week ago, very slow fermentation, I have done a quick filtering at home.
Now the wine is in a quiet period in a small stainless steel tank. From the taste it does not seem so achieved, I feel that it also has a salty taste, wild, but slightly acetic taste.
The wine is hermetically sealed very well. During the treatment I used a little potassium metabisulfite.

But its still the same taste, looks the view in this photo, what do i do?
Only 3 weeks old? Does not look clear. Time shou ld clear it. Is it totally degassed? I am thinking it probably is not as it is still cloudy. When you open it up does it have any pressure in the tank? Clue to having gas in it. Cooling it down some or warming it up should help it clear.
for the taste, try adding a little sugar to the glass. Should help the taste some. And the last thing for the taste is have patience. After it sits taste changes and ususally but not always for the better. Good luck with it, Arne.

Last edited:
Only 3 weeks old? Does not look clear. Time shou ld clear it. Is it totally degassed? I am thinking it probably is not as it is still cloudy. When you open it up does it have any pressure in the tank? Clue to having gas in it. Cooling it down some or warming it up should help it clear.
for the taste, try adding a little sugar to the glass. Should help the taste some. And the last thing for the taste is have patience. After it sits taste changes and ususally but not always for the better. Good luck with it, Arne.

It looks not a totally degassed. Pressure is low. The aerator is still there. if any gas left.. I will warm a little bit. thank you.. maybe the temperature of fermentation has been lower, so fermentation continue for ling time..

Latest posts

Back