Mosti Mondiale Advice and feedback on your favorite Mosti kits please.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrewwarwick

Reaction score
Hi, I don't post much but I do troll these forums daily and I would like some feedback on people's favorite Mosti Mondiale kits. I've made WE and RJS and only make the ultra premium wines. I work out of town on a two week "on" one week "off" rotation which has worked out well for these.

I am going to be doing some schooling and will be home for a month so I want to line up about 4 top notch kits that I can babysit with my hydrometer and really put the effort into making the best wines I can from them. I live in Canada so I'm not going to be paying an absurd amount of money for them as they're (I believe) on average $10 more than RJS and WE premium kits.

So... What would YOU make if you could pick any 4 kits you wanted and only had one chance a year to be able to babysit the fermentation process? Oh and I'm talking reds here that I will oak to my own preferences.

Last edited:
Renaisence Roso dAvola
Meglioli Amarone w/raisins

Hi, I don't post much but I do troll these forums daily and I would like some feedback on people's favorite Mosti Mondiale kits. I've made WE and RJS and only make the ultra premium wines. I work out of town on a two week "on" one week "off" rotation which has worked out well for these.

I am going to be doing some schooling and will be home for a month so I want to line up about 4 top notch kits that I can babysit with my hydrometer and really put the effort into making the best wines I can from them. I live in Canada so I'm not going to be paying an absurd amount of money for them as they're (I believe) on average $10 more than RJS and WE premium kits.

So... What would YOU make if you could pick any 4 kits you wanted and only had one chance a year to be able to babysit the fermentation process? Oh and I'm talking reds here that I will oak to my own preferences.
1) IMO, no need to baby-sit any kit. High end or otherwise.
2) You don't mention Vineco or Cellar Craft kits. I would much rather make a couple of their kits. In my case I would choose a couple that I have not made...
Ken Ridge Founders Series Harvest Crush Australian Cabernet Shiraz
Cellar Craft Showcase Washington Merlot

Steve

Tonyt, have you made those two before? I think my supplier has the meglioli amarone and I've read good things about that and the meglioli barolo.

Cpfan, I suppose I'm not actually adverse to making other than Mosti, I've just never made 23l juice kits before and am excited to try. Maybe I'll mix it up instead since I've never made cellar craft yet.

Thanks for the replies, you've given me some research for tonight :).

Andrew; I have made both Meglioli Amarone and Barolo and highly recommend them This year Idid the Barolo with Grape skins, added an extra pack of skins, half the Raisins and changed up the Yeast. :HB

I will put it in the Barrel for about 6 months ,let it age for a couple years and have a PARTY! :ib

Yes Andrew, I have made several Mosti kits Renaissance and Megioli. The two I listed are my favorites and I have made both of them twice. I'm sure soon I will try one of the Renaissance Impressions. Btw, I doubt I will make many more Megioli, I think they are over priced and I actually might prefer the Renaissance. Just my opinion.

I appreciate the opinions and thank you everyone for the replies.
Meglioli Amarone and Barolo are topping my list right now but having called the only supplier I've found for MM here they are $200 a pop. Hard to justify spending that kind of money on a hobby these days. I'll probably end up going with Vineco and Cellarcraft for the other two ...

Now I need to think of a distraction for my wife, Hrm!

Now I need to think of a distraction for my wife, Hrm!

My wife does Heirloom Sewing for our grandchildren ... it's terribly expensive, so an occasional Megioli even seems like a bargain. CC Showcase Roso Fortussimo can't be beat and is many on this forum's all time favorite.

I agree $200 is a lot of money for a kit, but ( there's always a but in this obsession ) buy the time your are all done with bottles,corks,labels your still under $10 a bottle. For that you get an ultra premium wine that you would be proud to share ,and after all that's what its all about. :b

Greg

Let me preface my remarks by saying this has been my experience and may not be that of others. I urge caution in thinking that 23 liter kits are the best things out there. In particular, I am referring to some of the MM Original All Juice Reds which are 23 liter buckets of juice. I have found them very thin, lacking in flavor and mouth. This is not to say that the Meglioli and the All Juice Masters Editions are in the same category. I have not tried either of these lines. Further, I have been pleased with the MM Original All Juice Whites, so I am not condemning the whole line.

Rocky; I can agree with you, i found the Original All Juice reds to be a little thin also, but the Megliolis were not thin. With the added grape skins packs they should be even better. :sm At least I hope so, I've got a lot of time and money invested in a few kits. :slp

Greg

Rocky; I can agree with you, i found the Original All Juice reds to be a little thin also, but the Megliolis were not thin. With the added grape skins packs they should be even better. :sm At least I hope so, I've got a lot of time and money invested in a few kits. :slp

Greg

The Megliolis are simple as good as they get. Even at $230 for a kit, that's $7 a bottle. Yes, that's a lot more than other kits, but the quality of these kits is also a lot better than the vast, vast majority. I know some will disagree and that's just fine, but although I also like the RJS EP kits, but even they, IMO, are not that of the Megliolis.

As I said, I have never made a Meglioli kit and I am sure that they are as good as everyone says. I have a hard time pulling the trigger on that kit at the price they are. I am not really cheap and I am pleased with the OVZs, Barolos, Cab Sauvs, etc. that I have made at half the price (or twice the amount, depending on how you look at it). At the same time, so many people whose opinion I really respect on this forum are so high on that series that I will have to find the bucks and the gumption to do it.

I just put in an order for a shiny new 23L medium toast Hungarian Oak barrel and am considering having them make me the same size in French Oak. Excited for days off tomorrow and picking my next kits! =D

As I said, I have never made a Meglioli kit and I am sure that they are as good as everyone says. I have a hard time pulling the trigger on that kit at the price they are. I am not really cheap and I am pleased with the OVZs, Barolos, Cab Sauvs, etc. that I have made at half the price (or twice the amount, depending on how you look at it). At the same time, so many people whose opinion I really respect on this forum are so high on that series that I will have to find the bucks and the gumption to do it.

You guys have got me interested in this Meglioli series and from what I can tell sounds awesome. Then, while doing research found out Southern Homebrew doesnt carry it or Mosti for that matter due to issues between Finevinewines and Southern Homebrew.

I know Im still green to this forum, but after searching around I cant seem to figure out what happened between Southern Homebrew and "George".

Can anyone fill me in?

Johnny, You can get ***'s side of the story on their website. It is a main topic on the home page in the column on the left. Of course, like the old saying goes, there is one side's story, the other side's story and the real story. I have always been pleased with my transactions with Fine Vine Wines. Not so much with Southern Home Brew. I think they do a lot of "drop shipping" of product, their handling and delivery fees are very high and customer service is poor. A recent example will illustrate what I mean. I ordered three kits from them and after about two weeks, I received only one (from Atlanta, Georgia) so I called thinking their was an error on their end. The conversation went something like this:

Me: "Hello, I am calling to check on on an order. I ordered three Pinot Grigio kits from you and only received one."
***: (After a short silence and very sarcastically) "Annnnd?"
Me: (Did I mention my Italian temper?): "And!? And I would like to know where the *&%# the other two are!"
***: "Please give me your name and phone number and I will do some checking." (which was the proper response from the beginning)

A few days went by and I received a message saying that "our warehouse" was out of stock so the other two kits would have to ship from "another one of our warehouses." About a week later, I received the kits from a shipper in Utah! My thinking is that they do not carry a large inventory and take orders which they call to a supplier with whom they have a drop ship arrangement.

Lastly, I recommend computing the cost including shipping from *** vs. your other sources. I have found that there is very little difference once this is done and the couple bucks saved is not worth their aggravation.

So after working 12 hours last night, getting off at 7am and driving 5 hours home I made it in time to get the last two kits of Meglioli Amarone they had left. I also found out the store sells the grapeskin packs that come with the Meglioli kits separately so that changes the ballgame for some of my other kits I had planned to make...

Anyway, I'm just about to start these and the kit instructions say not to add both the raisins and grapepack, but to add one or the other. I really want to add both as I know some of you have but I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not. Any thoughts on that?

Latest posts

Back