Adjusting SO2 in carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xlev

Reaction score
Hi

I have a vinmetrica SC100A.After checking the SO2 for my red wine it was at 8mg/L. I need to add more KMS but I dont want to rack the wine because there is no need for it.How do I disperse the KMS is the carboy and mix it so that is evenly distributed in the wine without introducing too much oxygen?

What do you do?

There are two ways I have done it. Don't know which one is better.
1) Add measured amount to wine in carboy, gently stir so as not to introduce to much oxygen.
2) Remove small amount of wine to external vessel, add measured amount to external vessel. Pour into carboy, gently stir so as not to introduce to much oxygen.

Racking is the last way I go just to increase my SO2 level. Unless next step is to bottle, and then I add the K-Meta to the bottom of the carboy, rack under vacuum to minimize oxygen uptake.

I made a 10% solution with distilled water. Really simplified things for me. Simply squirt and rock/spin the carboy.
There's tables out there showing how many mls to add to get where you want.
If you make a solution DON'T SMELL IT! "Powerful" is an understatement.

The primary issue that I see is salt from K meta has a density higher than wine therefore it will sink to the bottom. 10% K meta in wine has the same density as wine so it can readily mix with the wine and completely mix with a degassing whip or a few stirs of a spoon.
If I could I would float it on the surface since that is the region that is exposed to oxygen.

Latest posts

Back