Adjusting pH for a Pinot Noir

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Popular co-inoculation timing is right after the yeast’s ‘lag phase’ — time between pitching yeast and visible activity. Normally a day or 2. I’ve added it a full day and a half after lag phase with no problems.
Others on here mentioned adding it right along with the yeast.
If your able to get your hands on ML nutrient it helps when co-innoculating. To make sure both the yeast and the malo are properly fed so they’re not stealing each other’s food. At least that’s what they say. And it’s what I’ve been doing.

Popular co-inoculation timing is right after the yeast’s ‘lag phase’ — time between pitching yeast and visible activity. Normally a day or 2. I’ve added it a full day and a half after lag phase with no problems.
Others on here mentioned adding it right along with the yeast.
If your able to get your hands on ML nutrient it helps when co-innoculating. To make sure both the yeast and the malo are properly fed so they’re not stealing each other’s food. At least that’s what they say. And it’s what I’ve been doing.
Does the 4007 come in a vial filled with liquid or is it a dry product? If it is the liquid, I believe there is no need for extra nutrients, the liquid is the nutrient. And this is from memory, so I could be wrong. I always buy enough for 66 gallons, not just 6.

Does the 4007 come in a vial filled with liquid or is it a dry product? If it is the liquid, I believe there is no need for extra nutrients, the liquid is the nutrient. And this is from memory, so I could be wrong. I always buy enough for 66 gallons, not just 6.

Good catch. I’ve never used the liquid. Had no idea they contained nutrient. Makes sense too: to store the bacteria in a healthy nutrient filled solution.

Try to make your adjustments prefermentation, allowing the acid to be integrated into the wine as it is created. Minor acid addition can be made to taste later. The goal now is to get your must into range, so somewhere around 6 g/L TA, pH in the 3.3 - 3.7 range, but you shouldn’t blow up your TA just to get to pH 3.6. The fact is, that you can manage higher pH with a good sulfite plan, but a TA that’s too high produces a tart, sour tasting wine.
In your opinion how long does one need to wait for acid additions to be incorporated and measured? Thx

In your opinion how long does one need to wait for acid additions to be incorporated and measured? Thx

When you’re trying to adjust your must and get a ferment going, it’s hard to give it a lot of time. I try to allow a couple hours between major moves, less time for smaller, and lots of stirring.

When you’re trying to adjust your must and get a ferment going, it’s hard to give it a lot of time. I try to allow a couple hours between major moves, less time for smaller, and lots of stirring.
Thank you

Latest posts

Back