Quantcast

Adjusting PH/Acid in Kits and MLF

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

xriddle

Reaction score
Hi all, after making only fresh grape wine for many years I've decided to a stab at a kit this year. I picked the Amarone En Primeur kit and will be make 3 of them together so I can bulk-age in my demijohn. Question with fresh grape I always balanced my must before fermentation making sure ph, acidity and sugar were in check and after fermentation I usually (depending on the grape) went with MLF. Any thoughts or input on doing this for this premium kit. Is it frowned upon to try and adjust a kit and or perform mlf on kits.

Thanks
x

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
Yes, it is generally thought that MLF shouldn't be done on kits. Tim Vandergrift (the "godfather of kits") says that "it will end up in tears." The theory is that the kit is already balanced with the correct pH and acidity, and so you don't want to mess that up.

xriddle

Reaction score
i get that the PH and acidity is balanced and shouldn't be touched makes sense... but MLF is a whole different animal, literally, that is introduced. Thanks for the reference to Tim ... i'll do some research. appreciate the response.

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
i get that the PH and acidity is balanced and shouldn't be touched makes sense... but MLF is a whole different animal, literally, that is introduced. Thanks for the reference to Tim ... i'll do some research. appreciate the response.
You are welcome!

In MLF, the bugs eat malic acid (and excrete lactic acid). Malic is di-carboxylic, and lactic is mono-carboxylic, so MLF does indeed alter the acidity.

Ajmassa

just a guy
Reaction score
Also heard thru the grapevine that a portion of the malic acid in the kits is artificial and does not respond to mlf regardless of adding bacteria.

I can’t confirm this tho. the kit suits get secretive about these things

Latest posts