Adjusting PH/Acid in Kits and MLF

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xriddle

Reaction score
Hi all, after making only fresh grape wine for many years I've decided to a stab at a kit this year. I picked the Amarone En Primeur kit and will be make 3 of them together so I can bulk-age in my demijohn. Question with fresh grape I always balanced my must before fermentation making sure ph, acidity and sugar were in check and after fermentation I usually (depending on the grape) went with MLF. Any thoughts or input on doing this for this premium kit. Is it frowned upon to try and adjust a kit and or perform mlf on kits.

Thanks
x

Yes, it is generally thought that MLF shouldn't be done on kits. Tim Vandergrift (the "godfather of kits") says that "it will end up in tears." The theory is that the kit is already balanced with the correct pH and acidity, and so you don't want to mess that up.

i get that the PH and acidity is balanced and shouldn't be touched makes sense... but MLF is a whole different animal, literally, that is introduced. Thanks for the reference to Tim ... i'll do some research. appreciate the response.

i get that the PH and acidity is balanced and shouldn't be touched makes sense... but MLF is a whole different animal, literally, that is introduced. Thanks for the reference to Tim ... i'll do some research. appreciate the response.

You are welcome!

In MLF, the bugs eat malic acid (and excrete lactic acid). Malic is di-carboxylic, and lactic is mono-carboxylic, so MLF does indeed alter the acidity.

Latest posts

Back