Adjusting Acid Levels HELP

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellijaywinemaker

Reaction score
My wine has a Acid level of 1 PPM it is suppose to be between .60 - .65 for rose & red wines I need to lower with calcium carbonate question is do I do it now in the primary or do I adjust it in the secondary. :d

I think it depends on where you are at in the process. If it is just must then add the Calcium Carbonate - if it is wine - add Potassium Carbonate with Cold Stabilization.

My wine has a Acid level of 1 PPM it is suppose to be between .60 - .65 for rose & red wines I need to lower with calcium carbonate question is do I do it now in the primary or do I adjust it in the secondary. :d

Are you talking about TA or SO2?

I have never heard acid expressed as PPM.
Here's what I go by:
"The TA is a measure of the actual physical grams of acid in one liter of your wine and is expressed as “_ g/L of acid”, or in tenths of a percent of acidity as in “0.1% total acidity”.
Both terms are equivalent and can be used interchangeably by moving the decimal point;
e.g: 6.5 g/L = 0.65% TA."

Are you saying your TA is at 10.0 g/l (or 1.00%) and needs adjusted to 6.0 to 6.5 g/l?

Sorry

It is 1.00% TA according to the test kit. The sulfiric acid is 8 PPT It is in the second day of fermentation.

It is 1.00% TA according to the test kit. The sulfiric acid is 8 PPT It is in the second day of fermentation.

I would not try to adjust the TA or PH now that fermentation is well underway. Yes, it is best to adjust before fermentation starts, but it also works well to adjust after stabilizing. Sometimes we ends up adjusting at both points, especially when taste testing is involved.

Wait until after stabilization and run your tests again. Lots of things can change between now and then. Also, after stabilization, go more by taste and less by what the tests show. Do a small test batch, then scale up for actual.

Back