Additives

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Roads

Reaction score
I just made the Cure All wine that is posted here. They indicated that a handful of raisins was optional, and so I threw them in. Afterward I looked at the box. These are golden raisins and they used sulfer dioxide as a preservative. Now, I know that this is what is in Campton tablets. The recipe does not call for Campton, but the must smells very sulfery, and stinky. I want to make a Rose wine soon, and that calls for golden raisins also. This brand seems to be the only ones that I can get, in this podunk town. Will they be alright? What's up with the stinky Cure All wine.:(

Where U at? do you have a sams club near? this is where I get my raisins

A handful shouldn't hurt, if you are using wine yeast. If you can't find sulfur free ones you can rinse the raisins well and leave them in some water to soak overnight. It will dissipate with a little time as in must.
The smell is most likely just fermentation. It may change in a day or two. Stir it really well a couple times a day and see if it clears off. Did you add the yeast nutrient? Lack of that can cause sulfur smell sometimes.

Where am I----North Central Iowa. Nearest Sam's club is about 100 miles away. Yes, I added nutrient in the requied amount. I also used Montachant yeast. I can get regular raisins with no preservatives here, but not the golden. I am a little hesitant to use them in the Rose wine, even with the washing. I think I will wait to see if the Cure-all straighten's up. The yeast is working, but it isn't very frothy. Think I should give it a little energizer?:re

Where am I----North Central Iowa. Nearest Sam's club is about 100 miles away. Yes, I added nutrient in the requied amount. I also used Montachant yeast. I can get regular raisins with no preservatives here, but not the golden. I am a little hesitant to use them in the Rose wine, even with the washing. I think I will wait to see if the Cure-all straighten's up. The yeast is working, but it isn't very frothy. Think I should give it a little energizer?:re

In the future, wait before pitching your yeast like you would when using campden. Stire vigorously a few times during the wait.

Think of it as adding low-dose campden tablets when you use the sulfited raisins.

Personally, I don't care for Montrachet. It seems like a crap shoot on whether or not it will throw off h2s.

Thanks for the info. I did wait 24 hours before I added my nutrient and my yeast. I use well water and I always boil it before using and then add the sugar to it while it is still hot. Normally I try to let it cool down some before I add the rest of the must, but it is still hot for a long time, so I just wait until the next day before I add the yeast and nutrients.
I have seen on some of the threads that Montachant can cause some trouble, but I did not connect the dots until you mentioned it. I am glad that I started experimenting with different yeast types this year, or this may have developed into an on-going problem.:re

When using fruits that have meta on them already wash them off before use, use a little less meta in your recipe, and give the wine 24 hours as usual and stir before adding the yeast.

Latest posts

Back