Additives to kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rappdaddy

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried adding flavoring to kit wines. I've made several Sauvignon Blancs from kits and after 1 1/2 to 2 years, I'll get a citris flavor, but not the grapefruit taste I've come to like out of higher end New Zealand SB's. Any responses would be welcome.

I would not try using an of those flavorings you for beer or wine after its made, They do seem to do ok in the beginning because the artificial taste gets lost during fermentation but if added afterwards it is ever so present. You could try using a frozen concentrate or actual fruit to do so though, we do this all the time to add another element into the equation or to spruce up some of the flavor lost during a fermentation.

Those little bottles in homebrew store will NOT work in wine. Like Wade said get some frozen concentrate or some fresh fruit (frozen works)

Actually, I was thinking of putting a couple of grapefruits in hot water and let the oil from the fruit infiltrate into the water and add that when the wine was done in the secondary.

ZEST the grapefruits. DO NOT add the whole fruit just the flesh (what you eat). The white pith (sp) is bitter.
I'm thinking the Zest will be enough for flavor

Those little bottles in homebrew store will NOT work in wine. Like Wade said get some frozen concentrate or some fresh fruit (frozen works)

I second that (the hard way)

If you add fruit will that encourage additional fermentation ?

No, You let the wine go dry then add K-meta, Then add Sorbate.. Then add

Rob,welcome. If you add it in the beginning it will add small amounts of added sugar depending on how much fruityou add.some fruits conatian more sugar and or more juice then others so how much will vary but like Tom said, if added afterwards you will start fermentation again if you dont stabilize your wine 1st!

Latest posts

Back