Additive mistake

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country

Reaction score
I like to tell on myself when I screw up in hopes that some might learn from my mistakes, some will get a good laugh, and (hopefully) some will tell me that it will all be ok.

Bottling day for the LE Negroamaro and I’m as happy as Conolel Sanders at a chicken frying contest because I know this wine is going to be outstanding! After the last bottle is corked and I’m cleaning up, I get an uneasy feeling and look closer at the bottle of Potassium Metabisolfite I added- ooops that was Potassium BiCarbonate I added (1/4 tsp).

Just a reminder to look closely at everything, really look, not just a glance. I think my wine will be fine but boy will I be more careful in the future (at least for a little while).

Cheers

I like to tell on myself when I screw up in hopes that some might learn from my mistakes, some will get a good laugh, and (hopefully) some will tell me that it will all be ok.

Bottling day for the LE Negroamaro and I’m as happy as Conolel Sanders at a chicken frying contest because I know this wine is going to be outstanding! After the last bottle is corked and I’m cleaning up, I get an uneasy feeling and look closer at the bottle of Potassium Metabisolfite I added- ooops that was Potassium BiCarbonate I added (1/4 tsp).

Just a reminder to look closely at everything, really look, not just a glance. I think my wine will be fine but boy will I be more careful in the future (at least for a little while).

Cheers

I'm surprised I haven't made this mistake. 1/4 tsp to 5-6 gls? I think it changes flavor around 1g/L. This should be inconsequential at 1/4 tsp to 5+gls, but others here with more experience with potassium bi-carb, might know otherwise.

I added 1/4 tsp kmeta 3 month ago and sanitized the bottles with it prior to bottling, so hopefully SO2 is ok. I’ll just plan on drinking this wine without aging it as long as some of the others, twist my arm & throw me into that briar batch!

Latest posts

Back