Additional metabisulfite for aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all--

I'm using the WE Argentine Malbec kit, and it mentions to add extra metabisulfite if aging wine beyond 6 months. Will either of the two popular metabisulfites work for this? I don't have any potassium metabisulfite handy, but I do have some sodium metabisulfite on hand.

Can I use either? I know that Wikipedia isn't always the most reputable source, but it mentions that these two compounds are often used interchangeably.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Cody

I would only use Potassium Metabisulfite. So you have plenty of time to get some. 1/4 tsp every 3 months
Sodium is OK for sanitizing as is Potassium.
Potassium helps also as a anti-oxidant in your wine.

Once again, I have to go against the grain. I use Sodium Meta Bisulfite for everything. Every 5-6 gallon batch I have ever made used NaMeta. I only use Kmeta in the tablet form in one gallon batches.

Either is fine. The only reason I dont use NA-meta is that I feel that I dont need any additional sodium in my diet even though the amount used is ridiculously low. NA-meta is actually a better sanitizer as its a little more potent and its cheaper. You use the same amount being 1/4 tsp per 6 gallons.

Latest posts

Back