Additional metabisulfite for aging

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Reaction score
Hi all--

I'm using the WE Argentine Malbec kit, and it mentions to add extra metabisulfite if aging wine beyond 6 months. Will either of the two popular metabisulfites work for this? I don't have any potassium metabisulfite handy, but I do have some sodium metabisulfite on hand.

Can I use either? I know that Wikipedia isn't always the most reputable source, but it mentions that these two compounds are often used interchangeably.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Cody

Tom

Reaction score
I would only use Potassium Metabisulfite. So you have plenty of time to get some. 1/4 tsp every 3 months
Sodium is OK for sanitizing as is Potassium.
Potassium helps also as a anti-oxidant in your wine.

smurfe

Reaction score
Once again, I have to go against the grain. I use Sodium Meta Bisulfite for everything. Every 5-6 gallon batch I have ever made used NaMeta. I only use Kmeta in the tablet form in one gallon batches.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Either is fine. The only reason I dont use NA-meta is that I feel that I dont need any additional sodium in my diet even though the amount used is ridiculously low. NA-meta is actually a better sanitizer as its a little more potent and its cheaper. You use the same amount being 1/4 tsp per 6 gallons.

Latest posts