WineXpert Adding Water

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maineiak

Junior
Reaction score
I am currently making my third batch of wine. (Can you say newbie??). I began with a Peach Chardonnay for Christmas gifts and just finished a Grand Cru Pinot Gris that came out fabulous. A friend of mine taught me the ropes and I just love it!
smiley4.gif

Right now I am in the primary fermentation on a Grand Cru Vino Del Vida White Zin.
smiley1.gif
You begin the primary fermentation with five gallons. In reading ahead in the directions I see that the stabilizing step indicates adding your clearing chemicals and then adding water to top off the carboy. I transfer to a 6-gallon (23 litre) carboy. That seems like a ton of water to dilute my must.

My friend says he never adds water. What's a gal to do??
smiley5.gif

The primary fermentation should have been made up with 6 gallons total. Could it be when you read the instructions you mistook the 5 imp gal for 5 us gal? Most all wine kits make 6 us gal/23 L.

If it ferments completely to the final SG adding the extra water will be fine. Your initial starting SG must have been very high if you made it up to only 5 gals.

If you just started the fermentation <72 hours you could add the extra water now and stir well and it would be fine.

Edited by: masta

I just checked and both of my kits say to check the bauma' and tell you
what it should be when you start, and at the following steps. Are you
from Maine
smiley25.gif
do you love Maple Syrup...isn't it the best!! do you like to drink it too!!!
smiley27.gif
I'm Will..the Elf

Stinkie, I am assuming a Baume is a brand name of hydrometer?

Maineiak, Scott is right. It might not be too late.

baume' is the name for the number you read, hydrometers are refered to
as baume' sticks in labs, I had a starting baume' of 1.170.
smiley23.gif
I am starting to feel like a geek. (geek elf looking for my syrup)

Mistaking the imperial gallon for the US gallon is exactly what I did. No wonder my Pinot Gris knocks me on my butt after 3/4 of a glass!
smiley4.gif

If I top off at the secondary fermentation will I be OK? Directions say SG should be at 1.010. Should I adjust that reading for the additional water at the later stage?
smiley9.gif

No, just add the gallon of water now, in the 6 gallon carboy. Be careful and add slowly.

AAASTINKIE said:
baume' is the name for the number you read, hydrometers are refered to as baume' sticks in labs, I had a starting baume' of 1.170.
smiley23.gif
I am starting to feel like a geek. (geek elf looking for my syrup)

Stinkie, I don't wanna sound smartass or anything close, but we call that SG, Specific Gravity. Wine has a beginning SG and an ending SG, and can have an adjusted SG.

We come from different worlds, what do you call a pancake? flapjack? We just have different names for things.

I understand you point from a chemist view, but you really should use winemaking terms when making wine!
smiley36.gif

We call them pancakes!

Back