Other Adding water? Clearing Issues

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jswo23

Reaction score
So im just about to bottle a World Vineyard Trinity Blend 6 gallon kit, and noticed that my head space is pretty low, can i add water to get it to the right point? it says don't add water but im thinking it would cut out the amount of oxygen exposure. I'm also noticing a pretty long wait time to clear, Obviously i should stop comparing to filtered and polished store bought wines, but how can i tell? when i put a small flash light up to the store bought i can see it perfectly. when i do my kit wine i just see light no clear spot where the flashlight is at. Its definitely done fermenting (sp gr .992-093) and degased twice.

I personally would not add anymore than 500ML to top off a 6 gallon batch. How about just bottler the batch now?

So im just about to bottle a World Vineyard Trinity Blend 6 gallon kit, and noticed that my head space is pretty low, can i add water to get it to the right point? it says don't add water but im thinking it would cut out the amount of oxygen exposure. I'm also noticing a pretty long wait time to clear, Obviously i should stop comparing to filtered and polished store bought wines, but how can i tell? when i put a small flash light up to the store bought i can see it perfectly. when i do my kit wine i just see light no clear spot where the flashlight is at. Its definitely done fermenting (sp gr .992-093) and degased twice.

Top it up with a similar but inexpensive wine and wait to bottle. Your wine must be completely clear, just like a commercial wine. Do not bottle cloudy wine, it'll stay cloudy or leave deposits in your bottles. Most wine made from kits takes several months to be completely clear and gas free.

From your final gravity reading, its apparent that it's fermented dry, that's good. When did it finish and what have you done since then, including timelines?

Top it up with a similar but inexpensive wine and wait to bottle. Your wine must be completely clear, just like a commercial wine. Do not bottle cloudy wine, it'll stay cloudy or leave deposits in your bottles. Most wine made from kits takes several months to be completely clear and gas free.

From your final gravity reading, its apparent that it's fermented dry, that's good. When did it finish and what have you done since then, including timelines?

Well i started on 9/17/16, then racked it ten days later. then on 10/6/16 i stabilized it and degassed. i waited till 10/19/16 to degas one more time. and that brings us to today.

Well i started on 9/17/16, then racked it ten days later. then on 10/6/16 i stabilized it and degassed. i waited till 10/19/16 to degas one more time. and that brings us to today.

You need more time. I know a lot of kits would have you bottling after a month, but there are still plenty of suspended solids in there, even if you don't think you see them. Give it at least a month or two and see what shows up on the bottom. Then rack before bottling.

I just racked to again to reduce the sediment at the bottom aka lees. I think maybe I've done something wrong in the three racks cause I feel like I've lost a good amount. Should I just add a cheap bottle of cab sauv? I mean it is a blend of a cab sauv and franc and a merlot berry.

IMG_0068.jpg

I would either top up with a cheap Cab Sav or rack down to a 5 gal and bottle/drink the remaining.

Gosh, you need 5 more months, minimum before bottling.

And, Yes, get a box of Naked Grape Cab in there pronto.

Agree with the "rack down" sentiments. Save the rest for additional rackings/clearing.

You can certainly top off with a like, store bought wine, but you are going to run into the same problem again and again if your wine is still dropping sediment, albeit small amounts, every time you rack.

Latest posts

Back