Adding tannin powder after primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inverted

Reaction score
Which tannin powder would be good for a red wine to add structure and mouthfeel to? I plan to add some during secondary and if need be, during bulk aging.

go to scottlabs.com. they offer a number of post fermentation tannin. view there description to select the one you want. They used to have a article on dosage and bench trials , you might need to call them for additional help.

I've been looking for tannin riche (made by scottlab) for a about a week now. A couple places offer the TRExtra, but I haven't found the Tannin Riche yet. Would love tips, but I have checked all sponsers and done a massive batch of googling.

Pam in cinti

I've been looking for tannin riche (made by scottlab) for a about a week now. A couple places offer the TRExtra, but I haven't found the Tannin Riche yet. Would love tips, but I have checked all sponsers and done a massive batch of googling.

Pam in cinti

Morewinemaking.com has it.

For some reason every time I try to go to Morewinemaking.com my computer tells me either the host may be down or that site will not permit a secure connection. Either way I can't get in. Could you check to make sure it comes up for you? that way I'll know for sure it is my computer being persnickity and I'll try to figure it out.

TIA

Pam in cinti

Inverted, just to help you further, read the flavor profile of TRiche and TRExtra. Then take a small sample of your wine to do taste tests. First I mixed up a small sample of wine tannin powder, put a tiny bit in my wine and tasted both the sample with tannin, and without. I preferred the tannin. So next I added a drop or 2 of authentic vanilla and found I preferred the wine with tannin but no extra vanilla. That's why I want the Tannin Riche instead of TRExtra.

Thought it might help you figure out what would go best with your wine.

Pam in cinti

For some reason every time I try to go to Morewinemaking.com my computer tells me either the host may be down or that site will not permit a secure connection. Either way I can't get in. Could you check to make sure it comes up for you? that way I'll know for sure it is my computer being persnickity and I'll try to figure it out.

TIA

Pam in cinti

Yep, it came right up for me. Try https://morewinemaking.com

That is what i used. I just ordered oak cubes from them.

Thanks for checking it for me. Even that link didn't work, so it's time to call in the big guns, ie my hubby. Luckily red wine holds a long time, so no real rush on the right tannin for me.

Pam in cinti

Right now they are not showing the Tannin Riche. They have the Tannin Riche Extra, Tannin Complex and Tannin FT Rouge.

Thanks drainsurgeon. I hve the Tannin FT Rouge on hand and did a test of using that tannin vs the cheapo chestnut tannin powder and was surprised the cheapo was far superior. I actually had purchased several varieties of the FT tannins thinking it meant finishing tannins. Rude shock that it meant fermenting tannin. From the taste of the one I tried I would never ever use it after fermentation was ended. Very unpleasant taste change.

Pam in cinti

For the Tannin Riche (not extra), these people also carry it: http://www.thebeveragepeople.com/wine-making-tannin.html

The FT Rouge is primarily used as a sacrificial tannin in the fermenting process. The Tannin Complex is useful during bulk aging and the Tannin Riche and Tannin Riche Extra are finishing tannins and are used at least 3 weeks prior to bottling. Not a hard and fast rule by any means, but just what I have gathered and experienced.

Thanks bigtex52, that website even came up for me! Your outline on tannin use is helpful to me since I make white wine almost exclusively. I have a few red varieties that have been bulk aging a couple years now so it's time I pay more attention to making them the best they can be. Red wine is pretty much the wine of choice for family gatherings and I'll be glad to finally share a couple of those.

Pam in cinit

Latest posts

Back