Adding Tannin and Oak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deneed4spd

Junior
Reaction score
I was researching adding tannin and oak post fermentation and saw the tannin they sell in most brew stores are oak based tannin. If I'm adding oak cubes and tannin, isn't that double dosing tannin? Would oak be sufficient enough?

Yes, adding oak adds tannin to your wine. But, the oak also adds flavor.

It really all depends on how MUCH tannin you want to add and if you are not willing to over-oak your wine.

As John said, I think it comes down to how much you need of something to get what you want out of it. With oak you're bringing a whole lot more stuff with it, instead of JUST the tannin. It's like having chili peppers and chili powder in cooking; you can add the powder to get the heat you want, without having to add 20 peppers. Not the greatest analogy, but I tried. :h

I was researching adding tannin and oak post fermentation and saw the tannin they sell in most brew stores are oak based tannin. If I'm adding oak cubes and tannin, isn't that double dosing tannin? Would oak be sufficient enough?

@deneed4spd I find that powdered tannins and oak cubes will add different flavors, and adding both contributes to a more layered approach to tannins and oak. I typically put the powder in primary for fermentation, and the cubes/spirals/chips in during aging.

Latest posts

Back