Adding Surgar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AoifeLuC

Reaction score
My Black Raspberry Merlot Island Mist Kit is coming soon. I want to "bump" up the alcohol a bit so I ordered 1# of corn syrup and grape concentrate. When I add this sugar I wonder will this extend the fermenting time beyond the 5-7 day period?

Consider a proper yeast (which can tolerate the higher proposed alcohol level) when assembling your supplies. I like to use "Torani" brand syrups as they are available in so many flavors.

I've now done 2 "mist" type kits and have "bumped" them up similar to what you're doing and have not reached dry in 5-7 days. I lock down around that time frame with SG in the 1.020 to 1.000 range and check around day 14 for dry.

Remember that those Torani syrups don't claim to be actual the fruit flavor you see on the labels AND they contain Sodium Benzoate so you are adding a preservative and a salt. That may not be good at the start of a fermentation.

Before buying any additives it's wise to really read that label of contents carefully. The levels may be very low or not. We know hoe much companies over-salt items and like wise they often push to the legal limits on items if it saves them money.

Last edited:
I bought the additives from Label Peelers. I will look at labels ingredients however I believe they are careful on that sorta thing. Right?

I bought the additives from Label Peelers. I will look at labels ingredients however I believe they are careful on that sorta thing. Right?

Yes. But you should always check for yourself to know what you are really putting into your wine. If they have a combination of ingredients you may find that something else you were going to add is not needed.

Even from a local brew shop check the contents. We've recently had someone report that a local shop told them that there is no difference between Sodium Metabisulfate powder and Potassium Metabisulfate powder. So check for yourself to be certain.

And caution is always advised when buying pre-packaged fruit, frozen or bottled, Those products sometimes are often treated with chemicals to prevent spoilage (which may also prevent fermentaton) OR sometimes that "100% Fruit Juice" Could be Mostly Apple, Grape, or even Pear juice with enough of the fruit named on the label so that you can taste that fruit.

Last edited:
As dralarms stated, make sure and take SG readings before, during and after fermentation. That is the only way you are going to know what is going on.

Latest posts

Back