adding sulphites

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzmeister

Reaction score
I started a wine from raspberry frozen concentrate 2 weeks ago, it is a one gallon batch, I added surgar, pectic enzyme, acid blend, 1 oz of grape concentrate, yeast nutrient, and yeast, but after reading some threads on this forum, all the recipies call for cambden tablets, I did not add any to this and was wondering, if I should still add some now? or when is the best time to do it, I transferred it into the secondary jug, when the SG was 1.030, and it is still fermenting this is my first batch from scratch.

Wait until fermentation has stopped completely before adding a crushed cambden tablet to the receiving vessel you will be racking the 2nd time to.

I agree with above. The reason for adding it in the beginning is to kill off any wild yeast that is always present. most likely the stronger yeast strain takes over null and voiding the weaker yeast which is usually the wild yeast being the weaker but sometimes the stronger yeast is the wild one and may not take your wine to the point where where you really want it like dry for instance. It will also kill off any micro bacteria which also may be present with any fruit or anything for that matter not to metion protect your wine from any oxidation that may occur during fermentation.

Wade If I add k-meta in powder form how much of that is equivilent to 1 camden tablet?

You would need a scale to do so as it is .44 grams and just so you know 3 1/2 campden tablets is the equivalent of 1/4 tsp which we would use for 6 gallons of wine.

Latest posts

Back