Adding sugar to increase SG

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Primarily I make my wine from fresh juice buckets in September/October. I have noticed that although the wines are good, they lack some oomph. The SG varies from bucket to bucket. Rarely is it higher than 1.090 and it has been as low as 1.030 and everything in between. If I added sugar to the juice to raise the SG before pitching yeast, would I get a wine that has some alcohol in the nose and on the tongue?

Thanks

As a general rule of thumb, 1.090 is typical. If you can find a yeast that can tolerate higher alcohol levels, by all means bump the sugar.

Another option, if it’s good flavor, just a little low on alcohol, is to fortify with Everclear. Use the Pearson Square spreadsheet to bump your wine 1%, 2%, etc. it won’t take much.

I chaptalize anything under 1.080. Simply meaning, I add sugar to up ABV. I do it in country wines and kits, I have not tried juice buckets yet. I recently did 2 kits with skin packs and I brought them both up to 1.100 with sugar. I am trying to make bold reds with these kits and it was recommended by members to make sure the ABV is high. Without the balance of the high alcohol percentage the whole wine will fall short.

It is going to depend on how heavy the wine is as to how detectable the alcohol is, in a lighter wine you will get more on the nose and tongue at a lower ABV. As well, you will be able to keep the balance and not have as notable levels on the nose and tongue, even at higher ABV, in a heavier red.

With all that said.. There is no reason not to do it. For some of us it is common place, others are happy with the variation.

If you add enough sugar, yes.

I prefer to adjust the sugar to the desired level, then inoculate. While I've certainly done some oddball things in winemaking, I've found that simplicity makes life easier -- chaptalize to the desired level, inoculate, and follow the fermentation to its conclusion.

I wrote a post regarding chaptalization a while back:

https://wine.bkfazekas.com/chaptalizing-wine/
My recommendation is to determine what you want for an ABV, and adjust the SG to achieve that goal.

I prefer to adjust the sugar to the desired level, then inoculate.
This is a good to note. The reason I chaptalize under 1.080 is 100% personal preference. I drink water for hydration, wine for its 'calming' effects. I like to make sure there is an equal amount of calm in every bottle. 😎

Another option, if it’s good flavor, just a little low on alcohol, is to fortify with Everclear.
Great idea if the current batches are lacking... presence.

Last edited:
Wine making is all about balance.

A big red can carry more ABV than say a delicate white. I am usually facing having to water back 26 brix (1.11 sq) /15.9 abv must to achieve the balance needed. A Petite Sirah and handle it, a Grenache, Pinot, Rose, White for the most part cannot (I'm sure there are exceptions).

As a general rule of thumb, 1.090 is typical. If you can find a yeast that can tolerate higher alcohol levels, by all means bump the sugar.

Another option, if it’s good flavor, just a little low on alcohol, is to fortify with Everclear. Use the Pearson Square spreadsheet to bump your wine 1%, 2%, etc. it won’t take much.
RC 212 is good up to 16%, BM 4x4 15% and 71b 14%.

I chaptalize anything under 1.080. Simply meaning, I add sugar to up ABV. I do it in country wines and kits, I have not tried juice buckets yet. I recently did 2 kits with skin packs and I brought them both up to 1.100 with sugar. I am trying to make bold reds with these kits and it was recommended by members to make sure the ABV is high. Without the balance of the high alcohol percentage the whole wine will fall short.

It is going to depend on how heavy the wine is as to how detectable the alcohol is, in a lighter wine you will get more on the nose and tongue at a lower ABV. As well, you will be able to keep the balance and not have as notable levels on the nose and tongue, even at higher ABV, in a heavier red.

With all that said.. There is no reason not to do it. For some of us it is common place, others are happy with the variation.
Anything below 1.080 you chaptalize.
What do you typically bump up to?

Would a simple syrup mix better than sugar or wouldn’t make much difference?
IMO this depends on the situation. If chaptalizing with a relatively small amount of sugar, IME it doesn't make much difference. When making a second run wine, I use hot tap water (2 lbs sugar in 1 US gallon water) and it mixes well; I let it cool, then add the pomace. If chaptalizing a lot in cool juice, I might make syrup.

Anything below 1.080 you chaptalize.
What do you typically bump up to?
They say 1.090 is the magic number, but it depends on your preferences, as well as what you are trying to make.

I aim for 13% as a general rule. Mostly.. At the speed I sip it creates a nice buzz and it tastes like wine. It is never notably too strong or weak of an ABV.

I made a Dragon's Blood around the 11% mark, and the comments from my very hard to please critics was that it had a pleasant flavor, but was lacking oomph. After that I started aiming for 1.090 to 1.100

The two I mentioned above with skin packs, I am aiming for 14+. With a 1.100 starting gravity fermented bone dry, I should end up around 14.4. I just racked out of primary and it is currently at 13.6% .996 and likely not completely finished fermenting. I added 2 oak chip packs and the skins to primary, and I am aging on oak cubes. This is all adds to body and tannin which I hope with time will round out and blend with the higher abv. But, as mentioned above, the fullness I am aiming for will fall short, taking away from the whole flavor profile if the ABV is too low.

With a lighter wine that ABV could make a batch taste like rocket fuel. This is why it depends on your goals and preferences, but also why 1.090 is generally considered the sweet spot.

This is stolen from Bryan's link above.

The following table displays the approximate amount of sugar that will increase the SG of 1 gallon of must:

Amount of SugarIncrease in SG
1/4 cup0.005
1/2 cup0.010
3/4 cup0.015
1 cup0.020
1-1/4 cups0.025
1-1/2 cups0.030
1-3/4 cups0.035
2 cups0.040
2-1/4 cups0.045

1.080 to 1.090 is .010. 1/2 cup sugar for 1 gallon increase of .010 multiplied by 6 gallons equals 3 cups.

I am a bit of a simpleton. I fill up a measuring cup with sugar and add a cup or 2 at a time based on how far off the mark I am. Stir, check gravity, repeat? Then record what was added.

Here is another option that requires some simple subtraction.

https://www.winesandwinemaking.com/conversion_chart.php
Another that offers a calculator for everything you might ever question.

https://fermcalc.com/FermCalcJS.html

I made a Dragon's Blood around the 11% mark, and the comments from my very hard to please critics was that it had a pleasant flavor, but was lacking oomph. After that I started aiming for 1.090 to 1.100
I agree. I start everything around 1.090, some higher.

I'm wondering, if we make a wine where everything is balanced wouldn't there be no obvious "oomph"? I recently racked two different pear dessert wines from secondary made with 100% pear, step fed, both crapped out around 1.010. By my calculations one hit 20.3% and the other 20.5% They're both really good, the one with a bit of cloves especially so, but I didn't taste any alcohol at all! It didn't take long though and HOLEY MOLEY I felt the alcohol! They're going to be dangerous wines!

I understand a "lighter" wine needs less alcohol to be "balanced" and I'm wondering, why bother? I'm with you, Dave - give me a boatload of flavor and 13%+.

I'm wondering, if we make a wine where everything is balanced wouldn't there be no obvious "oomph"?
When a wine is unbalanced, such as low alcohol, you might notice the lack of "oomph" more than you'd notice any "oomph" in a balanced wine. Essentially, an unbalanced wine may be lacking in some quality.

Just my opinion, I think that dry type Country / Fruit wines lose their balance over 12% ABV. I do sometimes make a sweet wine, but I think you have to adjust the Fruit amount accordingly, otherwise the extra alcohol spoils the wine..
The few times I feel the need for a bigger boost, I drink Whisky or Vodka.!

Interesting post, I make cheap fruit kit wines and add 4 cups sugar to add abv. Usually, I mix the sugar into the water I add to the fermenter, Last time I just sprinkled it on top a couple days after the wine was started because I was out of sugar when I made it. It foamed up kinda strange, then went away. Was that something I should not do?

I avoid using simple syrup to chaptalize because the added water further dilutes the flavor of the wine. Just plain table sugar increases ABV without dilution.

Latest posts

Back