Adding sugar to increase SG

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the easiest way to go, 1 quart = 1%, simple syrup

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 0
Primarily I make my wine from fresh juice buckets in September/October. I have noticed that although the wines are good, they lack some oomph. The SG varies from bucket to bucket. Rarely is it higher than 1.090 and it has been as low as 1.030 and everything in between. If I added sugar to the juice to raise the SG before pitching yeast, would I get a wine that has some alcohol in the nose and on the tongue?

Thanks
If by ‘oomph’ you mean higher alcohol, then by all means add sugar. If you want more body, then add tannin. Tannin is needed with juice for body, unless you are also adding skins.

If by ‘oomph’ you mean higher alcohol, then by all means add sugar. If you want more body, then add tannin. Tannin is needed with juice for body, unless you are also adding skins.
I took oomph to mean predominantly buzz factor. ABV ads to taste and fullness, but when I said I was given grief about my Dragon's Blood, I was politely relating that I got comments like, is there any booze in it?

I took oomph to mean predominantly buzz factor. ABV ads to taste and fullness, but when I said I was given grief about my Dragon's Blood, I was politely relating that I got comments like, is there any booze in it?
My daughter in law made the same comment which got me thinking. Then I started this thread.

Just my opinion, I think that dry type Country / Fruit wines lose their balance over 12% ABV. I do sometimes make a sweet wine, but I think you have to adjust the Fruit amount accordingly, otherwise the extra alcohol spoils the wine..
The few times I feel the need for a bigger boost, I drink Whisky or Vodka.!
I agree. A couple of my earliest wines could have been better - but at the beginning I was following recipes, 3-4 lbs fruit. My current thinking is the more fruit the better.

Everclear was mentioned earlier on this thread. How much would be prudent to add to one bottle of wine without getting crazy.

Back