Adding Sugar as Syrup in Stages

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tropical

Junior
Reaction score
I have started making fruit wines with tropical fruits. I had problems with my fermentation getting stuck the first attempt. Since then I have added five pounds of sugar as simple sryup in the primary and another five pounds of syrup into the secondary when I rack into the carboy. How can I get an accurate SG?
Thanks

2 ways. There is a program that will tell you how much a amount of sugar oer gallon will raise you SG. My way is to record SG at beginning, then before adding additional sugar check sg, check after adding and add the differnce to original SG

As you are adding the sugar as simple syrup the answer is not easy.

Simple syrup consists of water and sugar.
So by adding this you will not only be adding sugar but you are also adding volume to the initial must.

Next the SG will off course be dependend on the total volume of the muist. You give no info on how large this batch is.

Then when adding sugar syrup to the secondary volume will change again.

So what to do.

Well add the sugar to the must and then measure SG before fermentation starts.

Next when racking to the secondary measure SG first, add the syrup and measure SG again.

Now add the difference in SG measured from the second racking to the SG you measured at the first racking and you will have a fairly accurate measurement.
Fairly as indeed the volume changes all the time you are adding the syrup.

Better would be if you would tell how much sugar you will be adding to what size of carboy.

Measure the SG of the must without sugar.

Now take these figures (the total added sugar) and the SG to winecalc and let it do the math for you.

Luc

jcann313 sugar addition

I am somewhat of a beginner but I think I may be able to help you with this one. First you didn't say how many gallons of wine you had. If you only have about 5 gallons then I would say you added too much sugar. There is such a thing as adding so much sugar that it will kill the yeast. Generally 5 pounds is about the most you would ever add to 5 gallons. You definitly need a hydrometer. I would say bring sugar level to 1.1 and that will make you able to get about 13%alcohol. I would add it all right to start with. I would let it ferment completely, rack off, use that stuff that prevents renewed fermentation, (can't remember the name right now). Then add however much sugar you want to taste. Your problem with stuck fermentation may be too much sugar or a poor yeast. I like DC 47 yeast. It will give up to about 14% alcohol before dies out. starts real good. Keep temp close to room temperature for rapid fermentation, don't let it get too cold, yeast charts show range yeast will operate in. usually lower than 45 degrees will stop fermentation completely. If I remember right, 2.2 pounds of sugar per gallon will bring pure water to 1.1 specific gravity. Pure water has specific gravity of 1. So say if you were at 1.055 you would be half way to 1.1 and so you would add half of 2.2 pounds or 1.1 pounds of sugar per gallon. you don't have to be perfect, just close. get some good yeast and a hydrometer with a skinny tube to put the wine in to check with hydrometer. The skinny tube is made just for this purpose with a check valve at the bottom of it. spin hydrometer when you drop it in to get air bubbles off of it for accurate reading. Very hot or cold wine will give a false reading so have fairly close to room temperature when checking with hydrometer. Adding sugar in stages leaves too much room for error I think. Try some DC 47 yeast or other highly recommended yeast. there are charts on them. i only use table sugar, you will have to adjust for syrup.

Last edited:
To get more specific, I am making five gallons of lychee wine. I started it Saturday, added the yeast on Sunday. I have been purposely starting 6 gallons of must to add must after each racking instead of water. So from the “sulfided” back up must I got a SG of 1.050, which would be the starting SG. From the Wincal for 12% alcohol, for 5 gallons I need to add 4.6 pounds of sugar (as simple syrup) when I rack into a five gallon carboy. I lose at least a quart on my first racking due to the volume of the fermentation bag and the lees, so I can easily squeeze it in as syrup. My problem with a stuck fermentation is not cold, it’s heat, I’m in Miami (FL). My house has AC, but we keep it close to 80ºF most of the day and 72ºF at night. I finally found a yeast for higher temperatures Lalvin EC-1118, which seems to work fine since I switched. The hydration solution even needs to be brought to 104ºF to get it started. This really helped – Thanks to All

a little more

I don't think 85 degrees or so will hurt. It might even make the wine ferment faster. And I know you are supposed to use precise instructions with a thermometer heating water in the microwave to an exact temperature when hydrating the yeast. This will make a difference. you need a food thermometer like in the grocery store. I think the instructions are on the pack of yeast, if not contact manufacturer. Do it just like the instructions say. But temperatures on up to 120 or so will kill the yeast. Be careful with that. I have tried the 1118 and I like the DC 47 a little better.

Latest posts

Back