Adding spices to cyser...sanitize everything the spices touch?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambassador

Junior
Reaction score
I'm adding some cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves to some cyser in a muslin bag. I'm planning on sanitizing the bag but what is the best protocol for getting the spices ready? I have cinnamon sticks and whole nutmeg that I need to break up/grind. Should I be sanitizing everything that touches any of the spices (plastic bag to put sticks in while I crush them and micro plane for the nutmeg?)

Not a microbiologist but your concern is that any bacteria in the spices will spoil your wine but the alcohol in the wine - you are adding the spices to the secondary - and the acidity of the wine along with the presence of the yeast will not provide an environment conducive to the growth of any bacterial colony. Add to that the fact that if you are adding spices to the secondary then there are no sugars for any bacteria to consume. Brewers may have a different experience as they have a great deal - relatively speaking -of complex sugars in their wort even when they bottle, a far lower level of alcohol and a higher pH... Bottom line: Like Roy, above, I wouldn't be concerned.

Back