Adding Raisins

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

John Miller

Too many hobbies
Reaction score
Anybody have experience adding raisins to wine that is stabilized and aging? I have a couple 6gal kits that I've been aging and was just wondering if adding raisins now would be helpful.

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
Raisins are about 2/3 sugar. How stable are your "stabilized" wines?

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
I would first rehydrate the raisins in the base wine then add them in let them sit for 2weeks then re-rack and move on. Done.

John Miller

Too many hobbies
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts. A wine in particular that I want to try this on is one that I used a white bottled grape juice to make. My first try on trying to make a cheap wine. Yes it has had kmeta and sorbate, and degassed with a vacuum pump. I was thinking of using a golden raisin to sweeten and possibly give it more body. Just didn't know if it was too late to try that. Seems most people add raisins during primary or secondary fermentation.

ali_emamy

Junior
Reaction score
Once the fermentation is over, adding some raisin to your stabilized wine should not improve the wine body, but for sure lend some sweetness to your wine. Assuming you already added the potassium sorbate to your stabilized wine, otherwise the fermentation may restart.

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
I would still try it the worst that could happen is the fermentation might restart and if that's so the raisins will lend to the body after 7 days.
Let your hydrometer be your guide at that point.

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
The fruit when rehydrated adds solids back to the mix. Adding to the structure of the wine.
Fresh fruit does the same more or less.depending on volume and we're it's added in the flow. Think àbout it.
Remember the differences between adding a fresh fpac in the primary as apposed to the secondary ?
Playing with 1 gallon kits are way to much fun.

Attachments

Last edited:

robert81650

Reaction score
Hey, tell me which supplier you use on E-Bay for raisins and do you buy white or dark raisins................

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
Any superstore. Also look at wine lovers wine kits for fpacs.