Adding Raisins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjzalew

Reaction score
I wasen't sure where to post this question. I've had kits where raisins were added and some that didn't have it. If I wanted to add them on my own where can I buy raisins that I could put in the must? I'm assuming I can't use store bought ones.
Thanks
Steve

If your just looking to give your wine better body then regular raisins will work for this but they are ot wine grape raisins. These used to be sold for a little while but have since stopped the selling of these unfortunately. I still have a place locally that has 2 packages for sale on the shelf so I would assume there are more places out there still with them for sale. They are small packages designed to be added to a batch, not to have a batch made from them just so you know.

I use Zante Currants, which aren't currants at but actually a V. vinifera (classic European and Californian wine grape and not to be confused with the classic American wine grape Vitis labrusca) grape called Black Corinth. I feel they quite a bit to my red wines.

I sometimes use raisins in my wines. It gives the wine sugar and some body.

You can use regular grocery raisins for this.
Just make sure to use white raisins for a white wine as the dark raisins also bring some colour. So use the dark ones for a red wine.

Shop bought raisins are often sulphited you will have to spray them with fresh water to get rid of that.
Soaking overnight makes it easier to chop them up.

I did an essay on this on my web-log. You can read the full story here:
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2007/11/rozijnen-raisins.html

Luc

Bart go to his blong, when it opens scroll dow to the bottom. He has an English version directly below the Dutch one

Luc is quite the man when it comes to his advice. Look around his blog, you will learn a tremendous amount from him as we all have!!

Bart go to his blong, when it opens scroll dow to the bottom. He has an English version directly below the Dutch one

Luc is quite the man when it comes to his advice. Look around his blog, you will learn a tremendous amount from him as we all have!!

Duh!!! That's what I get for rushing thru reading posts and not looking more closely. Thanks for the tip -- and apologies to Luc!

Latest posts

Back