Adding raisin to the primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumby

Wine improves with age, I improve with wine
Reaction score
Thoughts on a adding raisin to the primary in higher end kits with skins? Yes or no? Will it make a noticeable difference?

I've only done it in secondary with a few cheap 10L Italian wine kits. It does seem to add a bit of thickness to the kit wine along with a subtle change in taste that I can't describe but do like.

Last edited:
I believe the reason for the raisins is to increase tannins, that is what you get from raisins. I would rather use tannins. I started adding tannins after fermentation and I am really liking the improved mouthfeel.

I believe the reason for the raisins is to increase tannins, that is what you get from raisins. I would rather use tannins. I started adding tannins after fermentation and I am really liking the improved mouthfeel.

How much tannin have you been adding? Added right after fermentation is complete? I use tannin in primary when making my fruit wines but haven't used it in any other way.

1/4 tsp. I would always add tannins to my fruit wines in the primary, also, then I started to also add them after fermentation. I really like the outcome. So I started to add 1/4 tsp after fermentation to my juice buckets as well. For reds I use RT Rouge Soft Tannin and for whites I use blanc soft tannin

Amarone is a much different type of wine than, say a Merlot or Cab Sauv. I would not want to taste anything like a raisin taste in either of the later. If you want to add something to your high end kit with skins, read the notes on what the final tastes should be and add something that might complement those, it will seldom be raisins, there is a reason that kit manufacturers no longer include raisins with kits. (Except for the previously noted Amarone kits).

Amarone is a much different type of wine than, say a Merlot or Cab Sauv. I would not want to taste anything like a raisin taste in either of the later. If you want to add something to your high end kit with skins, read the notes on what the final tastes should be and add something that might complement those, it will seldom be raisins, there is a reason that kit manufacturers no longer include raisins with kits. (Except for the previously noted Amarone kits).

Joe has tons of posts about blackberry, blueberry, raspberry and cherry fpacs... I'm in total agreement... pick one that compliments your wine's flavor profile.

I would only add raisins and preferably Zante currants to an Amarone but none of the other wine kits. As many have said before I would use decent wine tannins and fermentation tannin's which could be FT Rouge, Biotan or Tannin VR Supra. I typically use a tsp of generic wine tannin and a tsp of one of the above fermentation tannins in the primary. Then when I do the transfer to secondary or carboy (I almost always use some form of extended maceration on all my reds now,1-2months) I then add 1-2 tsp's of an oak tannin like Quertannin Intense or Tannin Riche. Then at the end of y cycle I put the kit on 40-70 grams oak cubes or a wine stix for 2-3 months.
I do make my own f-packs when the fruit is in season and then freeze them and depending on the kit I'll add the f-pack along with the grape pack at the beginning.

Back