Adding peaches to sauv blanc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mocha

Reaction score
I started making wine because I wanted to make fruit wines, I enjoyed making them more than drinking them, now I make kit wines but I want try to tweak them. Has anyone ever tried adding peaches to your primary, I have a wine expert vintners reserve sauvignon blanc I'd like to try, I know some of you have added dried apricots and I could do that as well but I live next to a peach orchard and they are peak next week.....

Yes no problem, take about 4to6 med. Size onesskice them down sauteed till real soft add to the primary,just remember it's going to take at least a timts as long to clear, purchase 1 more package of clarification solution
First clearing After 2weeks in the secondary once cleared remove from the secondary vessel clean and put the base back in,then add the second package of clearing agent and chems ,let it sit for or until it clears, take your time bottling leave some behind along with the sediment.Got it

I have used peaches in a heritage estate reisling, 6 peaches destoned frozen then mashed when thawed, directly in the primary. You will need pectic enzyme or the wine will never clear.
The wine had wonderful peach notes early but the 2 bottles I saved till around 14 month the peach had faded. I would definitely do it again as an early drinker, bottle in march for summer drinking June - Sept.

sauvignon blanc taste profile is more citrus oriented with lemon grass overtones. I would think peach would go better with a Riesling or chardonnay. I would recommend some lemon zest or lime zest or both in the secondary. I would also add the peach in the secondary

Yes no problem, take about 4to6 med. Size onesskice them down sauteed till real soft add to the primary,just remember it's going to take at least a timts as long to clear, purchase 1 more package of clarification solution
First clearing After 2weeks in the secondary once cleared remove from the secondary vessel clean and put the base back in,then add the second package of clearing agent and chems ,let it sit for or until it clears, take your time bottling leave some behind along with the sediment.Got it
Thank you, I've got it, I'm so excited the wait will be torture I've been so used to a quick 4 to 6 week kit but I've been following your tweaking cheap kits post, now I've always got something aging, going to tweak a cheap cab sauv til, this is a great hobby, my friends are already placing requests on this one

Last edited:
sauvignon blanc taste profile is more citrus oriented with lemon grass overtones. I would think peach would go better with a Riesling or chardonnay. I would recommend some lemon zest or lime zest or both in the secondary. I would also add the peach in the secondary
Maybe I'll freeze the peaches to break them down and buy a reisling, in the meantime I've heard of adding grapefruit zest to the primary, I love sauvignon blanc I made a marlborough that has a lively pear taste to it, I've had some that have had an apricot stone fruit taste and I love those more than the citrus lemon grass variety, so you think dried apricots and zest to the primary would work better for what I'm looking for rather than the peaches?

TAKE A LOOK......................................

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 8B.jpg
    8B.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20170903_130147852.jpg
    IMG_20170903_130147852.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 21
I would think you want to compliment or improve the flavor profile of the base wine. your suggestions of pear and apricot or certainly better than peach. go for it.

Thank you, I think I'll save the peaches for a reisling and add apricots and half of a grapefruit zest to primary, I also have some fresh picked black raspberries I'll freeze and I'll also freeze blackberries when they peak and add that one to a red with half spiral of French oak medium toast, I'm like a kid in a candy store!

Mocha, hope you don't mind me highjacking your thread here but I have a similar question. I will be making a reisling with alexanders concentrate and apricot preserves. Would this be ok or should I use fresh apricots?

Mocha, hope you don't mind me highjacking your thread here but I have a similar question. I will be making a reisling with alexanders concentrate and apricot preserves. Would this be ok or should I use fresh apricots?
No not preserves, I make jams and jellies and we add pectin to make it thick, your wine might not clear, add dried apricots and slice them, it will probably be better, seems to be what other winemakers use or fresh fruit but add pectin enzyme to breakdown the pectin in the fruit and prevent hazy wine

I had good luck using Niagra with fresh peaches in the past. They went really well together and the juice was easier to find. I made this wine 3-4 times when I had easy access to a peach tree on my property and would highly recommend it.

Once I forgot to add K-Sorbate after sweetening a bit and accidentally made a light sparkling wine that reminded me of Prosecco. As I was not expecting to make a sparkling wine, I bottled them in used wine bottles; not sparkling wine bottles. Thankfully only 1/4 of the bottles exploded leaving around 30 for drinking! This was the only wine I used protective gear to move around!

Latest posts

Back