WineXpert Adding Oak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francie

Reaction score
I am in the process of doing a Lodi Cab, and wanted to add more oak. I have never ventured off, or "Doctored" a kit before so I wanted some tips before attempting. I did already purchase the Medium French Oak chips (wanted the cubes, but my local person did not have them). I guess my question is, at which step do I add the oak, how much do I add, and for how long should the oak stay in contact with the wine?

Thanks!

Francie

GO BUCKS!!

Francie you can add the oak at pretty much any stage, but in the secondary for bulk aging is most typical. The chips will be harder to remove when racking, but aren't that bad. The chips also have more surface area per weight so take less and react quicker. If you wait until aging, the alcohol aids in tannin extraction so it doesn't require a long time. I would start with an ounce or two of chips and taste after it is in there about 3 weeks to a month. When you get the amount of oaking you are after, rack again to a clean carboy and continue aging.

By the way Happy Belated Birthday. I think it was yesterday?

I agree with appleman but, depending on the chips you have...you may want to sample each week.

I have seen strong extraction of some chips within about 10 days. Seems to be that depending on the type, some thinchips can extract flavor pretty quick.

You can always add in more (longer)but once you go too far blending or very extended aging may be needed which is more work.

The Oak will mellow some with age so as you do sample, I typically go a bit more Oak than I want in the final product and within a 6-8 months it is perfect.Edited by: ras1

Thanks for the replies. I have discover that most of the kits I have made so far are too light, almost have a sweeter taste that I prefer, so I thought by adding some oak, I can achieve more of a tannic wine than a sweeter wine (don't get me wrong, I am not making sweet wines-Barbaresco, Amarone, Cab., Brunello, Zin-Shiraz, Shiraz). These kits do not seem to compare to the commercials, but I am probably not aging enough.

Francie

Francie said:
Thanks for the replies. I have discover that most of the kits I have made so far are too light, almost have a sweeter taste that I prefer
Francie

I've been adding Tan Cor Grand Cru to all my kits lately. This seems to provide some additional depth to the texture.

I have not tried it but have heard good things about Tannin Plus as well.

I woud not recommend the generic Tannin powder, I find it bitter and sour. I am also looking at the new dried grape skin product such as this one: http://www.grapestompers.com/product_details.asp?SubcatID=41&ProductID=795&internal_index=0

Latest posts

Back