Wine Kitz Adding oak spiral to an oaky wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BabaPerson

Junior
Reaction score
I'm making a Spagnols Rosso Grande Eccelente kit. Spagnols describes it as "full-bodied" and "medium-oak". I thought it could probably get away with extra oak.

If I remember right, the kit came with 3 bags of oak chips (along with skins, etc.). These all went in during fermentation. I racked it from the primary and added the supplied pectinase. A week later I racked it again and followed all directions, except for leaving out the supplied sorbate. I then added one 8 inch French medium toasted spiral. (The oak spiral was my own addition) Otherwise, I plan to do this part by the book, waiting 4 weeks. I'll then rerack and discard the oak, and bulk age for a couple of months before bottling.

I then plan to keep at least 20 bottles in storage for a year or so.

My question is, does anyone think I should pull the oak spiral sooner?

Personally I would leave it in there. I throw a medium toast, french oak spiral in all my reds when bulk aging. It can be in there anywhere from the 3 months to a year. Did you use American or French oak? It's hard to over oak using French IMHO.

I'd leave it be. But oak isn't for everyone.

Did the kit call for all the oak to be added in the primary? From what I have learned that oak in primary will give you that "full body". But no oak later in bulk and it may have fell short of "medium oaked". So adding that spiral may very well bring you right where you want be oak-wise.
Also I've read that spirals take anywhere from 6-12 weeks to give off all the "oakiness" they have to give. So 4 weeks is playing it safe. You could always taste along the way and pull if it's too much. Plus it fades in time as well.

Taste, taste, taste. But like @Ajmass5983 said, the oak will fade. I ruined 30 gallons of beautiful Barbera by over oaking it, so I'm pretty sensitive to putting too much oak on a wine.

:bI tasted it at bottling. The oak was expressive but pleasant, and the wine was very nice. I could have used a bit more tannin, but the softness and fruitiness kept it approachable. Several tasters agreed, so I'm relieved. I plan to rest the bottles now for a year. High hopes.

Latest posts

Back