Adding "new" must to "working" carboy?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

rowlettr

Western NC Wine Novice
Reaction score
1) I have read that the carboy should be almost full. If I am a gallon low, may I start another batch of the same grapes, let them work for a week or so in the primary until the fermentation stops, then rack them into my existing 2 week old must in may carboy to almost top it off?
2) I did not have a hydrometer when I started a batch and now after 5 days I have one and it reads less than 1.000. There are no bubbling noises or any sign of activity. Is it done fermenting? (Blackberries).

rowlettr

Western NC Wine Novice
Reaction score
What about my question #2? If my initial reading after 5 days of primary fermenting reads 1.000 or less, is the sugar all gone? Should I add more sugar to make more alcohol, or rack it now into my carboy?

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
If the sg is stable for a few days in a row then it is done, you really dont want to make it start fermenting again unless you are looking to make more alc from it.

rowlettr

Western NC Wine Novice
Reaction score
I would not mind increasing the alcohol level to make it a little more potent. Would that be a matter of just adding sugar now, and assuming the yeast is still alive?
I am guessing I should check the SG after adding sugar, then monitor it over time?

Latest posts