Adding more sulphite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuziwk

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Have a general question. When i make my kits i add in the sulphites for stabalizing and clearing as per the kit. After clearing for a few weeks im planning on filtering into a carboy than aging while adding another 1/4 tsp of sulphite since im sure filtering gets rid of some sulphite. If i bulk age this on oak for two months before bottling should i add another 1/4 tsp of sulphite prior to bottling or do you think i have plenty in there.

Im sure the wine will be fine as far as spoilage but im more cocerned about oxygen taking some of the character from the wine.

Or i can bulk age for 2 months and add more sulphite, than filter and bottle directly after. In this would i have to add more sulphite prior to bottling if its going to be sitting in the bottle for a good 6 months or a year?

Last edited:
Sulfites won’t clear your wine, nor will filtering remove sulfites. I think you are safe with adding at then end of fermentation/ first racking. Then every 3 months as @salcoco said. If you are going to bottle prior to 3 months, I would do one additional add a day or more before you bottle. The amount of exposure if racked with proper procedures (under vacuum or from the bottom up) is minimal and you won’t see and degradation of your wine. The benefit from waiting 6-12 months in bulk is that it will minimize sediment in the bottle. Even if you filter it young, there may be changes going on in the wine that could result in sediment.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back