Adding Malic to Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Al Hatfield

Junior
Reaction score
I’m a new at the game and am thinking of making a Chardonnay from a kit but I like very buttery oaky chardonnays. I’ve heard the acids in kits are already balanced so there’s no need for malolactic fermentation. But if I want the flavor characteristics from malolactic fermentation could I add malic acid in the beginning then do malolactic fermentation after the primary fermentation?

Johnd

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m a new at the game and am thinking of making a Chardonnay from a kit but I like very buttery oaky chardonnays. I’ve heard the acids in kits are already balanced so there’s no need for malolactic fermentation. But if I want the flavor characteristics from malolactic fermentation could I add malic acid in the beginning then do malolactic fermentation after the primary fermentation?
The answer is no. Problem is that the natural malic acid is the target / food for MLF conversion to Lactic acid, the man made stuff purportedly doesn’t cooperate. Move of from the kit and there’s lots of solutions.
I had a similar wine request a few years ago, ordered two Chard buckets from Brehm, did MLF, did some lees aging / stirring, and oaked half the batch. Came out fabulously.

Latest posts