Adding K-Meta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker_3352

Reaction score
After adding k-meta in the primary mix - do i need to add k-meta again when i rack to secondary?

Or just re-add k-meta every 3-4 months - or if adding sorbate to backsweeten?

After adding k-meta in the primary mix - do i need to add k-meta again when i rack to secondary?

K-meta is added to the primary to stun any yeasts/bacteria in the initial must. Wine yeast is pitched a day later after much of that K-meta has dissipated.

Different folks, different processes. Many people transfer the wine to a secondary vessel (carboy) while the wine is still fermenting (say sg around 1.005). Do not add K-meta while the wine is still fermentng. While it may not cause problems, there is a chance that the added K-meta will cause a stuck ferment. Certainly, there is a good chance that the K-meta will slow down the ferment.

Once the ferement is finished, K-meta is added to help prevent oxidation. In a properly sealed vessel, this K-meta will not dissipate like that added to the primary.

if adding sorbate to backsweeten?
Sorbate is not a sweetener. Perhaps you meant "adding sorbate when sweetening".

Steve

Last edited:
K-meta is added to the primary to stun any yeasts/bacteria in the initial must. Wine yeast is pitched a day later after much of that K-meta has dissipated.

Different folks, different processes. Many people transfer the wine to a secondary vessel (carboy) while the wine is still fermenting (say sg around 1.005). Do not add K-meta while the wine is still fermentng. While it may not cause problems, there is a chance that the added K-meta will cause a stuck ferment. Certainly, there is a good chance that the K-meta will slow down the ferment.

Once the ferement is finished, K-meta is added to help prevent oxidation. In a properly sealed vessel, this K-meta will not dissipate like that added to the primary.

Thanks - i knew it aided in the protection of the must and for oxidation - didn't know that it would slow down or possibly stop fermentation - thanks!!

Sorbate is not a sweetener. Perhaps you meant "adding sorbate when sweetening".

Steve

That is what i meant - thanks.

Back