adding grape skins and juice before bentonite?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
Can you add the grape skins, than the juice, than the bentonite? or even just the grape skins first, than the bentonite?

I always have a hard time getting all the grape skins out of the package, and pouring them in a near full primary bucket, it always splashes a little

Can you add the grape skins, than the juice, than the bentonite? or even just the grape skins first, than the bentonite?

I always have a hard time getting all the grape skins out of the package, and pouring them in a near full primary bucket, it always splashes a little
It would be nice to know which kit you are making. Some companies (Vineco) use a bentonite that can be dissolved in the full batch.

Regardless, I feel that the bentonite should be stirred vigourously to ensure that it dissolves well. That is tough in a nearly full primary. Sounds like you need a bigger primary.

Steve

I would dissolve the bentonite in warm water first. Some kits actually have you do that anyway. Steve is right though your next investment should be a larger primary. You'll be fine.

Also, the grapeskins add volume to your batch, so you might find it difficult to determine the 23 liter mark if you add the grapeskins first, assuming this is a kit.

Also, the grapeskins add volume to your batch, so you might find it difficult to determine the 23 liter mark if you add the grapeskins first, assuming this is a kit.
Good point but I always add water based on liters to make 23 not the mark I made on my plastic primary, that's too much guess work. If I have an 18ltr kit I add a total of 5 ltr of water. If it has 16 ltr of juice and 2 ltr grape pack I ignore the grape pack and add 7 ltr of water. The extra few ounces of water sued to disolve yeast or K-meta are just lagniappe, Sha.

If you are close to the top of your primary, it is kinda funny how you can get by with several batches. Then one day you come home to wine all over the floor, table or wherever you have the primary. If you have it close to the top, at least put it in a tray, pan, large bucket, or set it on a big garbage can and kinda pull the ends up the sides a bit. This can save you a big cleanup. Or do like the other folks have said and find a larger primary. Arne.

bkov, if you hare having this problem, why not add the bentonite dissolved in water as Tonyt suggested, add all of the juice, noting where the level is on your bucket (assuming it is makred for volumes), then add the grape pack and then the water required to make up 23 liters total of water and juice (ignoring the volume of the grape pack). For example, if the bentonite/water plus the juice brings the level in the primary to 16 liters you know that you have to add 7 liters in the end, regardless of where the level is with the grape pack added. Hope this is not too confusing.

Tonyt, "The extra few ounces of water sued to disolve yeast or K-meta are just lagniappe, Sha." Please explain this. Thank you.

If you are close to the top of your primary, it is kinda funny how you can get by with several batches. Then one day you come home to wine all over the floor, table or wherever you have the primary. If you have it close to the top, at least put it in a tray, pan, large bucket, or set it on a big garbage can and kinda pull the ends up the sides a bit. This can save you a big cleanup. Or do like the other folks have said and find a larger primary. Arne.

my wine primary is a 6.5 gallon ale pail. I dont measure the water i add, i just keep adding until im close to the top of the bucket

Tonyt, "The extra few ounces of water sued to disolve yeast or K-meta are just lagniappe, Sha." Please explain this. Thank you.

Both are Cajun colloquialisms, Lagniappe is a little bit extra for free and Sha is a term of endearment. Beaumont is 30 miles from Lousiana. I grew up not knowing if I was Italian, Cajun, Texan or American. Guess I'm a mix y'all.:)

both are cajun colloquialisms, lagniappe is a little bit extra for free and sha is a term of endearment. Beaumont is 30 miles from lousiana. I grew up not knowing if i was italian, cajun, texan or american. Guess i'm a mix y'all.:)

only in america!!!!:d

Latest posts

Back