WineXpert Adding glycerin to kit wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
add $14.95 for shipping and handling for the lower 48. I didnt check the other sites mentioned earlier for S&H

Last edited:
I add it to reds & whites. Like Tom says, it is for body only not sweetening. It may soften a little harshness but time is better for that.

Yeah I should of. So Tom, would you think 4 oz is good for kits or should I go up to 6 oz per 6 gallons. I assume that I would add this after filtering, if I was to filter. Is this correct? Its those kits the Wade loves..LOL

"Those" kits need help. Start with 4-6oz. use your degasser tool to MIX the glycerine.
THEN,
Use the 3 "T's" ! to wjay YOU like.

I would suggest you do a trial first on small volume, then taste it to find the right amount, You cant take it out after adding to mutch.

Hello, I've just came across this thread and I'm very curious about the use of glycerin. I don't use kits, I buy pails of grape juice and so far so good. Have two batches going right now. My fourth year in winemaking. Has anyone had bad experiences with the addition of glycerin? it only improves the body?
Thanks

@Mario Dinis I did a bench trial of adding glycerin to a small sample of a merlot kit I'm currently making. It did improve the body dramatically, but when I added more and more it also changed the flavor. It added an odd sweetness that seemed to exacerbate the acidity in the wine and left a cloying feeling in my throat; definitely made it undrinkable.

I can't speak to long-term effects (yet), but I was very happy with the results when I only added a little bit. But if you overdo it IDK if there is any way to come back.

@Mario Dinis I did a bench trial of adding glycerin to a small sample of a merlot kit I'm currently making. It did improve the body dramatically, but when I added more and more it also changed the flavor. It added an odd sweetness that seemed to exacerbate the acidity in the wine and left a cloying feeling in my throat; definitely made it undrinkable.

I can't speak to long-term effects (yet), but I was very happy with the results when I only added a little bit. But if you overdo it IDK if there is any way to come back.
Thank you for your advice. I'll make a note of that. Still debating if I should play with it or not.

About 2 weeks ago I experimented with it in a Sauv Blanc. Used two 1/2 gallon carboys and put 20 ml in one and 10 in the other. From what I found 30 ml is one oz. I'm not sure the wine needed anything in the first place but I found the 20 ml was too sweet, the 10 was OK and my preference was the base. Now that's one wine and one persons opinion so not sure if it means anything.

Thank you for your advice. I'll make a note of that. Still debating if I should play with it or not.

In my bench trials one or two DROPS per ounce made a noticeable difference. I put 24 mL into 5 gallons of Zinfandel and I like the body very much. I do not know how it will affect the wine long term.

About 2 weeks ago I experimented with it in a Sauv Blanc. Used two 1/2 gallon carboys and put 20 ml in one and 10 in the other. From what I found 30 ml is one oz. I'm not sure the wine needed anything in the first place but I found the 20 ml was too sweet, the 10 was OK and my preference was the base. Now that's one wine and one persons opinion so not sure if it means anything.
Thank you

I am currently in the process of making my first batch of wine. The person at the wine store recomended the Winexpert Vitners Reserve Merlot kit to start off with. After reading several post here, I decited that I would like to add glycerin to it to give it a little more body. At what stage should I add it, and how much should I add. Thanks, and this site has been invaluable to me.

I have vegetable glycerin(food grade) that I use for making electronic cigarette ejuice. I used it for a rose in place of the sweetening reserve pack that was included with the kit. I put in four ounces for the whole kit prior to bottling and the result is a nice round character that is very slightly off dry. I would say it worked out very well. Essentially it's 60% as sweet as sugar so it's pretty easy to do the math. I will say it does not take very much sugar to make the wine taste off dry, even 5g of sugar per bottle can be tasted. Keep in mind when the wine is chilled it tends to taste even sweeter as the alcohol is not as pronounced and doesn't counteract with the sweetness.

Latest posts

Back